Author Topic: Can anyone identify this engine noise?  (Read 12266 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:12 pm
My G5 (7500 miles) has developed a loud tick. I've read as many of the "ticking" threads as I can find here, but I can't work out what this is. I know these engines are a bit clattery, but this is a new development, and giving me some concern.

I don't have the expertise to identify this noise, but perhaps one of you more experienced RE riders can pin it down.  Short YouTube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Je5M_bCrQ
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:59:36 pm
i have a strong feeling that its form the valve train. Please inspect the rockers and the bearings.

Do me a favour, after you have warmed up the bike on a small ride. Put your ear close to the engine while running and switch off the ignition, observe when engine cuts off for a noise resembling a squeaky tiny fart or when you squeeze air out of a ballon. It would be like something is scuffing inside and you can do it wit the kick too with ignition off and kick it slowly to observe if you have anything like what I explained.

Did you by any chance did any maintenance on the rockers? Do you feel rattle or vibrations creeping up at certain RPM band when you upshift and it gets smooth when you cross that RPM band?

I dont think it's from auto decomp or the cams as when cams develop play from inside it makes a howling kind of noise on UCE.

If you hear the noise I explained above then I know what it is.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:04:18 pm by SSR »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:09:52 pm
I haven't done any work inside the case at all.
Engine still warm after a longish ride an hour ago - I can't detect any noise such as you describe, when switching off or by using kickstart. But I'll warm it up again in the garage and have another listen.
I haven't noticed any unfamiliar vibrations when riding, but I was more intent on listening to the engine - that noise is quite audible, perhaps more so when the bike has warmed up.
When I had the auto-decomp issue a while ago it was an altogether different noise - a loud clack rather than this higher pitched ticking

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:11:07 pm
     I could not tell. I do better in real life. Surround sound might help!
 If you are sure it is coming from the engine you should see a dealer NOW. However, it could be a broken baffle in the exhaust or a tank mount issue. If the chain it too loose it can whip and bang on the engine case, frame, or guard.
     And check your oil!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:13:03 pm
Oil level is fine, and chain well adjusted. This noise is there even stationary. It's the high - pitched ticking in time with engine speed.
Definitely from engine and not exhaust or frame.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:15:13 pm
Just use the kick in slow motion and couple of complete strokes and listen carefully near booth the rocker covers. If you can then just record an audio clip with the recorder near the rocker covers.

The noise I mentioned is not loud and you can easily miss it if you are not looking for it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:18:14 pm by SSR »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:25:12 pm
No, the only sound I'm hearing after several switch-offs is the usual compression hiss. Bit tricky to operate the kickstart by hand with my ear close to engine, but similar result - breathy compression sound but no squeeky noise.
Should I desist from riding? If the bike needs to go to the dealer for warranty repair (alas - parts only in 2nd year) is it ok to ride it the 30 or so miles?

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:36:53 pm
If you don't have that noise then its good. You can ride as usual but I would suggest take it to your dealer when you can.  Trust me I have gone through worse and I know what this baby is capable off even on a death bed.

Usually that sharp ticking noise is from sticking rocker due to various reason. Does this noise goes completely while riding either on acceleration or deceleration for a second or so at any given time?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 07:40:57 pm
I think it is consistent. That said - I will take it out for a ride right now and report back.

Page 03-15 of the factory manual says to check/adjust backlash between the cam gears after first 500 miles. They adjust on an eccentric sleeve apparently. I did wonder if this might be the problem?

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:37 pm
Hi WillW, have a search for auto decompressor and clack.  My C5 still does it quite often on the first start of the day.  

I have the bike on the centre stand and pull it over to the right against my body and thumb the button so it starts without the clack. I set it back upright avter a few seconds an dlet it tick over while I get the riding kit on.  

Subsequent starts are normal.

Cheers Shappers

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 07:54:59 pm
It´s probably either a rocker beating on a valve or, and that´s my guess, a valve clicking on it´s seat. It´s not very problematic unless the clicking gets not louder within a short timespan.
The Bullet has hydraulic valve lifters, that´s why you don´t have to adjust the valve´s play regularily. When these lifters age and don´t hold up the necessary oil presure, the play may get too big and that causes this clicking sound, just as in older engines when the valves weren´t adjusted correctly. I´d have your dealer have a look at it, he knows better how to check the lifters.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55:06 pm
If the cams were not adjusted then yes it can cause excess noise but from the clip it does not sound like its from the cams.

Anyways get the cams checked for backlash although one can DIY and its a enjoyable experience at least it was for me.

There is a but to it, if not adjusted at correct intervals then the eccentric cam sleeve can eat out the cam bush and then you would need a new set of sleeves and cams.

Do get the sprag bolt checked as well along with the rockers.

@Maturin- I agree with you, I feel its the rocker.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:59:02 pm by SSR »

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 08:05:49 pm
Just looked into the manual. The chapter 4-3 describes the hydraulic tappets, they´re located under the chromed cover plate on the lower right side of the cylinder, just underneath the pushrods. If that´s the reason for the clicking, it can be checked quite easily.
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:10:03 pm
You can not check them from the window as they are not visible from there only the pushrods can bee checked and if for any reason the rollers needs to be taken out then the whole engine needs to be split open.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 08:14:17 pm
And Will, I guess it should be ok to make the ride to the dealer but don´t push her too hard and try to avoid high revs.
Nevertheless it´s really a very distant diagnosis, could be I´m bringing up ghosts that are not existent  ;)
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl