Author Topic: Saddlebags & Rack  (Read 4549 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: April 12, 2011, 12:27:44 am
Hi all, greetings from down under again. Small problem, I recently purchased a genuine rack and saddlebags for my '09 G5. I have been informed that they will fit all G5's and electras. My problem is the rack, it arrived with no fitting instructions other than a "Good Luck" from the Aust. distributor. I can see how the thing should go together, however there is a black metal bracket which I cannot for the life of me see how it fits into the scheme of things. At best I can see that it may attach to the number plate mounting bolts then to where I have no idea. I would have put a pic up but to be honest it is still beyond my limited capabilities regarding computors. Has anyone on here actually fitted the rack or have access to any type of fitting instructions, it appears no-one over here Distributor included has. I would appreciate any solutions, comments etc.

Cheers Ernie  ???

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:20 am
Is that the chrome rack with side frames, as sold by our host? I bought one last year, comes flat-packed, and it too came with some strange bits & pieces - couple of brackets and a curved piece shaped a bit like the pillion grab handle but flat & with holes in. I thought this might be the purpose of these bits (all black) as once the rack is on, the pillion handle wont fit. But the new piece is too small and anyway would look dog-ugly on the bike.
If these are what you're taliking about Ernie, don't worry - just ditch em. They have no part in fitting the rack. What they are for I have no idea.
The pillion handle, by the way, can be re-fitted by making up a couple of small brackets to lift it clear of the rear bolts. ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:27:32 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:51:32 pm
I can see how the thing should go together, however there is a black metal bracket which I cannot for the life of me see how it fits into the scheme of things. At best I can see that it may attach to the number plate mounting bolts then to where I have no idea.

That's exactly where it goes. And there is 2 black arms that go up to the 2 bolts on the back of the rack.
Most folks just toss the bracket.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:07:13 am
I too just received my chrome plated Rack and Luggage carrier.
I want to install it on my 2011 G5 DLX and hit a bit of a snag.

Although the nice photo in NField Gears site shows it neatly mounted on a motorcycle and nicely clearing the rear trafficators (I really like that name instead of 'turn signal'), the ones on my motorcycle are directly in line with them.

At the moment, it looks like the solution is to either try to relocate the trafficators or to drill new mounting holes in all three bolt locations on the bracket.
These new hole locations would allow the rack to be mounted about 5/8 inches forward of the designs location.

Have any of you successfully mounted this rack on a G5 Deluxe?  If so, how did you do it?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:32 pm
I seem to remember having to weave the assembled rack around the rear indicators somewhat - sort of feed them through, but it fits fine. You will have to adapt or remove the grab handle though.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:47:16 pm by WillW »

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:18:51 pm
I finally got it on, however the rear rack sits above the tail light with only about 1/8" of an inch clearance. The side support bars actually are in contect with the top of the indicator stalks, this may be a worry in time. The saddle bags them selves actually cover the indicators which are only visable from the rear. No problem there I suppose.
Sorry not able to load photos at this time. Cheers. :)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:23 am
Are we talikng about the same rack?  My saddlebags only touch the fronts of the indicators - and they're the backswept type (see photo above). Try a bit of judicious slight bending to clear the rack from the light and indicators. I remember having to exert a little bit of persuasion I recall, but not much.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:18:39 am
Same rack, yours are smaller bags. Are your bags only attached down at the sides on the racks are somewhere else as well.

Cheers  :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:23:56 am
I got my rear rack and saddle bag support mounted today.

There was no way it was going to fit my G5 without something giving so I decided to elongate the two smaller mounting holes that go where the grab bar is normally mounted.

I ended up filing the rear slots and the front holes to allow about 1/4 inch movement of the side mounts in a forward direction.  That allowed the rear area of the tube of the side mounts to just clear the front side of the trafficator stalks.

I also decided to make two tubular spacers for the rear cross tube that bolts the rear of the two side mounts together.  These spacers ended up being about 1/2 inch long so I had to use longer bolts to get everything together.

Because two of the three cross tubes that form the top rack are loose I ended up putting some silicone rubber inside each tubes ends.  That should dampen out any looseness once the RTV has cured.

Next I will try to find some saddle bags to mount on the racks. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:27:26 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:37 am
Hocko - just slung over the seat and cable- tied thru the back to the rack

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 10:33:51 am
I fitted this rack, but also a back rest (sissy bar?)
I made two alloy mounting plates that fit onto the seat via the hand grab rail( now not wanted) mounting bolts on rear of seat.The rack was mounted thro these holes and into the seat.
The plates were drilled to suit the existing holes and two addition holes to suit the back rest, or what ever etc.
The addition holes were drilled any were to suit the positioning of back rest  etc, at the rear or the pillion.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 12:36:33 pm
Popular bags here  ;) ;D 8) Worth a look I think.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9906.0.html
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10463.0.html
I had some of those on an old BSA, a few weeks in the sun faded them to a nasty weird yellow color >:(
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 01:37:58 pm
I had some of those on an old BSA, a few weeks in the sun faded them to a nasty weird yellow color >:(

Yup.  Mine's been on two weeks and already it's filthy and discoloured.  Looks awesome!   8)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 02:38:03 pm
Perfect for a military, but my old Beesa was black :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association