Author Topic: Black rubber on motor  (Read 1794 times)

Fieldrg

• Scooter
on: April 10, 2011, 07:55:24 pm
Hello,
Been lurking here for over three years, finally brought home a C5 Military. There are rubber protectors in the motor fans, do I just pull those out?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:01:04 pm
     No, leave them in. These are to dampen sound. The fins are of a generous size for better cooling, but being so large they tend to  ring from engine vibration. That is why old 2-cycle engines were call ring-a-dings. The vibration of the large cooling fins gave them their distinctive sound. They won't affect cooling. If you don't like the look you can take them out, but the sound level will rise.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:08:09 pm
They are mostly there to get the bike through DOT testing. If you take the out the bike will be louder, but my ears can't tell the difference. I took mine out just because the motor looks better to me.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:37:50 pm
They are mostly there to get the bike through DOT testing. If you take the out the bike will be louder, but my ears can't tell the difference. I took mine out just because the motor looks better to me.

+1.  You can keep them on the shelf.  Some bikes do develop a pronounced ring to the engine at some time in their lives.  If you get that you can always stick them back in.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:51:59 pm
I pulled mine out on day one, didn't notice any difference in sound and it looks a lot better, Welcome to the forum and congrats on the C5!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:36:29 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association