Author Topic: Tweel  (Read 2553 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 09, 2011, 04:03:47 pm
Very promising, or at least imaginative.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tweel-airless-tire.htm

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:38:57 pm
i was hoping something more imaginative like levitation or magnetic resonance inversion  ???...that round wheel concept been with us since what - the beginning of the ox cart...But if that's the best they can come up with, I guess from a engineering concept its worth putting a little research into it..
Oh Magoo you done it again

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:11 pm
Hmm,

Many issues.  Wonder how many miles those stay affective?   How will they take severe cold?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:07:06 am
If macadam was banned and streets paved with rubber, a lot of problems would just go away.
Run what ya brung

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 02:13:45 pm
Gangstas will be lining up for those, in their quest for the wider skinnier tire!

Buy all you can now dawg, before da craze sweeps da nation!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:53:18 pm
The tweel has been around for years in concept, and is actually pretty amazing.  The contact patch on it is HUGE.  You basically don't have to worry about traction anymore.

What they've been trying to fix for awhile is noise at high speeds.  The wheels are fully functional for just about anything, but you hit 50-60mph in them and it sounds awful. 

If the noise problem can be fixed, they're almost the "new wheel."  Huge contact patch, almost no road deterioration (as the patch is almost 1,000% larger, it spreads the car's weight over a larger area, which equates less stress on the road, and the wheel "lifts up" off of the road surface instead of rolling off of it) and much longer wheel/tire life (for aforementioned "lifting off" reason).  Plus, the amount of rubber that would have to be replaced when they wear down is much less, just a thin strip around the outside.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:52 pm
Rosetap is right on, I saw those things years ago. If they were any good twe twould be twiding on them by now. Tweally.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:05:01 pm
Firestone had a truck tyre that was very similar to that in the 1910's ..... It utilised holes through the tire to add "cushion" to the solid rubber tyres that were common on heavy trucks of the day .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:45:13 pm
The tweel has been around for years in concept, and is actually pretty amazing.  The contact patch on it is HUGE.  You basically don't have to worry about traction anymore.

What they've been trying to fix for awhile is noise at high speeds.  The wheels are fully functional for just about anything, but you hit 50-60mph in them and it sounds awful. 

That should not be a problem on the bullet now, would it ?

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 12:52:41 pm
That should not be a problem on the bullet now, would it ?

Might need a wider set of forks and a swingarm though ;)
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!