Author Topic: G5 UCE acting up..  (Read 24539 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:19 am
 You Don't need the expensive machine to read the codes, You may need one to clear them though. A long 6 and a short 6 is the crank position circuit. Curious as to why they would say it was an old Code? Did they just check the sensor, or the whole circuit?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
  • 10 RE G5...this be a fun bike!
Reply #76 on: May 19, 2011, 03:10:05 am
GM I agree, that's what I woud do GHG, I don't know...wish the dealer was closer so I could pick their brains or put all the parts on myself. This site is awesome and the knowledge amongst friends is  greatly appreciated.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
97 Buell Thunderbolt - Widowmaker
09 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator
10 RE G5 Classic

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: May 19, 2011, 03:20:47 am
mugwomp, did you have a problem with the crank sensor/ circuit before?.....When the bike cuts out on you, do you get a continuous glow in the engine light?   

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: May 19, 2011, 03:33:29 am
didn't they change the crank position circuit/sensor?..as what gashousegorila has suggested, maybe  they need to clear the code with the reader/analyzer or does it clear on its own assuming it was bad and replaced...this was done like a month ago and u brought it home...and did u see the error code right away at start up or does it show up as you are driving and then die... or does the code appear right after it dies?
after it dies and sit, does it start right back again and do the same thiing?  if anything we would have a record of what happens with the code you are seeing and the eventual  the fix for prosperity..iI the interfaceto  the cpu hardwired or are their actual connectors to it that could be taken off and put back on for connection verification.?
I'm not familiar with your machine and don't even know where the cpu is on the bike..just thinking of what i be looking at if I had it.. dam strange to change the crank position circuit and u get the same error message..maybe that code needs to be cleared and theirs another error code...will it show more than one error code at a time?   these are things that u guys need to find out anyway..
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: May 19, 2011, 03:53:36 am
 Sorry, read back over the tread, and there was a previous issue with the crank sensor.  It looks like they replaced it, but not the harness yet.............and your still getting that code :-\   .........

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #80 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:15 pm
Yeah, from what I have been told, once you get a diagnostic code it has to be cleared with a special computer or it will continue to read out the previous fault code. Unfortunately most dealers don't have one. They replaced the crankshaft positioner sensor which is a plug in unit attatched to the stator. They have all the parts assumed to be faulty for replacement so hopefully all will be well eventually. Just curious as to the culprit. I understand mechanical issues, but when it comes to electrics I'm at a loss. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. Thanks again!
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #81 on: May 19, 2011, 04:12:38 pm
Bummer that you can't clear codes easily.  I had the diagnostic software for my Ducati from TechnoResearch, it was great.  You could read and clear codes, check all the engine info (temp, RPM), etc.  It was $200 and worth every penny.  I'd be glad to pay that for the RE software.

I also have a OBD2 scanner for my wife's POS Volvo.  That car throws codes so often I just leave it in there.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: May 19, 2011, 05:18:18 pm
Yeah, from what I have been told, once you get a diagnostic code it has to be cleared with a special computer or it will continue to read out the previous fault code. Unfortunately most dealers don't have one. They replaced the crankshaft positioner sensor which is a plug in unit attatched to the stator. They have all the parts assumed to be faulty for replacement so hopefully all will be well eventually. Just curious as to the culprit. I understand mechanical issues, but when it comes to electrics I'm at a loss. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. Thanks again!

One thing that ScooterBob used to hammer again and again was that the parts are extremely high quality and seldom go wrong.  That seems to be the case here too.  Since the parts check out OK, when tested for their electronic function, and replacement of CPS (crank position sensor) does not change anything so the fault may not be the part itself.  This is where a good mechanic and dealer's knowledge of the product and experience comes into play to show their skill to identify the root cause of problem. It is like finding a good doctor or a dentist - not easy.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: May 19, 2011, 05:24:15 pm
that's why i not intersted in volvo or a Sabb...its was always a 1000 dollars to just about have them do anything of relevance on the newer machines...getting that way witht he domestic stuff too if not already...Good doctor...well maybe..usuallly they say its allergies or something else...by the time they ome to some kind of conclusion, the parties over and the treatment irrelevant...IMO..(thats for us paying customers)...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #84 on: May 19, 2011, 06:49:27 pm
I keep the OBD2 code scanner in my wife's Volvo.  Saves time from not having to go to the garage to get it all the time :)

Scott

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #85 on: June 07, 2011, 11:57:03 pm
Mugwomp, any news? I think I've had the same problem as you; my dealer has been valiantly trying to fix the problem. I've driven it home a couple of times, only to have the problem happen after riding about 30 miles or so (a good part of the distance between my house and the dealer). My dealer thinks this time may reveal the issue, since the bike won't start at all now.

I've gotten to know the local U-haul dealer pretty well, with the number of times that I've rented a ramp trailer!

And no, he can't re-set the code.

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #86 on: June 27, 2011, 03:09:29 am
Finally got her back from the dealer 2 weeks ago and it seems the issue is solved! They put in a new ecu & injector to no avail. After she died completly they tracked the problem to the negative wire on the coil that was chafed inside the wiring harness. A month at the dealer who pulled most of his hair out over this issue. Wish RE would use a thicker gauge on all their wires and better connections. I've put about 100 miles on her and she is running like she's supposed to. It seems like most riders issues are solved by electrical problems which can be difficult to trace down. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. Ride safe!
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: June 27, 2011, 03:29:31 am
okay caught up now..jeeze..alot of parts changing for a chaf wire inside a  wire harmess...i bet the dealer was pulling his hair out.a..alot of time spent for a  fifty cent piece of heat shrink.....glad to c u back on the road...

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #88 on: June 27, 2011, 04:34:40 am
Glad to hear your bike's back on the road. My own Bullet is still at the dealer's; the people in MN had him talking to an Indian engineer who I guess is visiting to help troubleshoot. I will pass on your dealer's solution. BTW, who is your dealer? It may help my dealer if he could connect directly to yours.

In the meanwhile, my NT700V has been my primary ride. No drama with the Honda, but not as sexy as the Bullet.

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #89 on: June 27, 2011, 02:47:42 pm
I hear that, it's nice to have other rides while our babies are sick. My dealer is Centaur Cycles in Santa Fe, NM. Richard Meltz is the owner/operator and I'm sure he would be willing to talk to your dealer. (505) 471 5481. He had also consulted with Kevin @ CMW and they all had been in contact with an engineer from India. Good luck with getting yours back on the road.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic