Author Topic: G5 UCE acting up..  (Read 24309 times)

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
  • 10 RE G5...this be a fun bike!
Reply #60 on: April 25, 2011, 08:45:36 pm
You betcha GreenMachine, whenever they  get it fixed again I'll ask them to put 5-10 miles on her rather than a trip around the block to make sure it's healed. I love how light and nimble she is wheeling around the garage, but she sure shows her weight after pushing her uphill for 8 blocks :P Guess when I get her back I'll ride uphill the first few times so if she dies I can at least coast home ;D
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
97 Buell Thunderbolt - Widowmaker
09 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator
10 RE G5 Classic

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #61 on: April 25, 2011, 09:07:44 pm
And for all our sakes please let us know what it is - I hate electronics - if its any question at all about the ECU get them to change it = computers work or they dont and they usually work and work and work but when they break - chuck em.
Dr B

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #62 on: April 27, 2011, 08:28:55 pm
Well, my dealer let me know they will ship another crankshaft positioner sensor(attatched to the stator of course) along with a wiring harness as they thought there might be a screwed up connection somewhere. I checked the engine diagnosis green wire and it still shows 6 long and 6 short blinks indicating the crankshaft sensor failure. Either way I am glad RE stands behind their warranties and my dealer is eager to get the problem solved. (Just wish I didn't have to do another 460 mile round trip twice to get her there and then pick her up :()
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #63 on: April 27, 2011, 09:07:38 pm
Tell them to have one of the techs dirve it home and back for three days after they fix it.  And make sure it's the same tech so you get one person with some real miles on it.  Who would turn down a free RE for a few days?  In that time I'm sure they'd notice anything out of order.  It's worth a few more miles on the odometer to know it's sorted ;)

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: May 03, 2011, 05:53:54 pm
>:( Well Crap! Took the baby for a ride this morning and about 3 miles of her running great, she just died like I hit the kill switch or turned the ignition off!!! No backfire this time, just died :( The kill switch works (no fuel pump singing with it off, turn it on and the pump sings like she should) Guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow when they open and probably make another 450 mile round trip. A little disheartening to say the least.

@Mugwomp:

What is the condition of your bike ?  Is it up and running or you are waiting for some parts ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #65 on: May 05, 2011, 04:02:34 pm
Update....My dealer called yesterday and all the warranty parts have arrived. (They ordered a new crankshaft position sensor, wiring harness, throttle sensor & ecu!!) They really want this issue outa their hair & I as well. RE really responds to warranty work and they want satisfied customers....best advertising is word of mouth! Taking her up Friday morning....will keep you all posted on the outcome. Appreciate everyone's interest and suggestions.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: May 05, 2011, 04:31:58 pm
yes indeed we thought u were out of the woods the first time...hope they can pin it down to something specific vice just changing out everything at once and it works..guess u be happy either way and wouldn't care as long as its fixed....cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #67 on: May 05, 2011, 09:16:07 pm
I'm betting even if they just change out everything, ALL those parts are going back to the factory to find the culprit.

Scott

painter311

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: May 09, 2011, 04:40:51 am
This sounds like the same problem I'm having. I've found that when I'm riding, as soon as I hear the sputtering noise if I pull in on the clutch a little and give it some throttle, it will keep running and not cut out. It mostly happens in 1st and 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Not very fun when I'm riding, if I don't catch it at the right time my engine cuts out and I'm gliding to the side of the road.

What is the general consensus? Do you think it might be the same problem, should I try to replace the crankshaft position sensor?

mugwomp, any updates from the dealer? I feel your frustration, I haven't been able to ride my bike on the road for a week because I can't trust it in the heavy Hawaii traffic here.
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #69 on: May 09, 2011, 09:10:43 am
This sounds like the same problem I'm having. I've found that when I'm riding, as soon as I hear the sputtering noise if I pull in on the clutch a little and give it some throttle, it will keep running and not cut out.

Just wondering if that cut out switch at the clutch lever might be playing up? Mine has refused to start a few times even when definitely in neutral and pulling the clutch in solves the problem. Unfortunately you can't just disconnect the switch like you can the sidestand cut out; for the bike to start you have to short it. I'm leaving it till the next service as my electrical abilities are so poor. 

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23:24 pm
Well, here's another update. Took her to the dealer 5/6 when the warranty parts all arrived and asked them to take their time. (spring time and they are extremely busy getting scooters serviced and the like) Called a week later and they said all they found was a fouled plug??? Replaced it and she started fine, drove it around the block a few times but wanted to keep her over the weekend & put some miles on her to be sure I wouldn't have to make the trip again. Called yesterday and they said they drove her just a couple of miles and same thing happened...just died. They're going to charge the battery up or put a new one they have as a spare to make sure all the electronics are getting enough juice. Told them I'm glad I wasn't crazy and doubted a fouled plug was the issue (I already changed it out with no difference) I've heard a weak battery or a bad cell can cause all sorts of problems with the electrics. I'm glad the problem reared it's head for them as well as me. They told me that the diagnostics mode I was seeing..6 long & 6 short blinks would show up as the last error because I guess you need a $2000 computer to reset the code which they don't have...anyone else heard of this? We'll see what happens next and will keep ya'll posted...sure glad this happened under warranty  7mths in, 3000 miles and glad I've got other bikes to ride......just want my baby back & running!
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 10:28:04 pm
what a mess...they should just a put a new battery and be done with that and keep it for a few days and ride it to see if if indeed the battery is kaput...i wouldn't pick it up till it was fixed....what would be the point to bring it home if it doesn't measure up....

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52:14 pm
Have they checked the charging system and battery?

Scott

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 11:41:03 pm
GM & DS, I would hope so....I'm really interested in where the gremlin lies.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: May 19, 2011, 12:20:50 am
wasn;t this the original problem a while back..u get to the point as a consumer , where part replacement is synonymous to I'm not sure what the problem is or i don;t really understand how to fix the problem or combination of both.. granted, the balls in their court as its under warranty...Right?  If it was my bike, i would check the battery first, fuel system  second  , coil output, and electrical associated with maintaining spark and battery replenishment third..generic terms here but a bike that starts and just dies going down the road after 5-10 min should be able to be fixed in a reasonable amount of time unless its heat related  ....wasn't  scooterbob saying that the dealers don;t have the exspensive diagnostic reader to read the codes,  reset the cpu and/or reload as its  not necessary as they should be able to analyze the problem and if they are having problems beyond their expertise they can call CMW who will work with them in analyzing the problem if its cpu related...i'm just spouting here but i thought their was a short discussion on the subject....its not like they can't put a new cpu if thats the culprit..