Author Topic: G5 UCE acting up..  (Read 24290 times)

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
  • 10 RE G5...this be a fun bike!
on: April 05, 2011, 09:11:07 pm
Hey Guys, would like your expert opinions on an issue that came up on my 2010 G5 UCE. While riding today gave my baby some throttle and she hesitated, backfired a few times then died. Pushed her home & checked all the fuses and injector connections, all appeared ok. After she cooled down I could get her started at idle, but when I gave her throttle, she dies. Anyone have anything like this happen or what should I look for next? Appreciate 'cha in advance. Mugwomp
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
97 Buell Thunderbolt - Widowmaker
09 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator
10 RE G5 Classic

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:30 pm
Could be lots of things.  Obvious thigns to check:  Does it have gas?  Any water in the gas?  Spark plug lead on tight?  Popt the gas cap and see if it will run, your vent might just be clogged.

You can ground the lead in the right tool box and read the codes by how many times the lights blink when you turn the ignition on.  If you can get the number of blinks I can check my manual and tell you what they mean.  The codes are also listed on some post here if you want to search.

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:16 pm
so that computer control rascal isn't flawless...have u een riding it all winter or is it the second or third time u taken it out?  did u changed out the plug?..as ducati scotty states, it could be a few things....spark and ignition being top of the agenda...let us know what u find..
Oh Magoo you done it again

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:00:17 pm
Thanks Scott & GreenMachine...I've been riding it since Oct of last year when I picked her up from my dealer 280 miles from here. Gas is good, getting good spark...now that she's cooled down a little I can get it started and it idles, but when she gets a teensy throttle, she dies. I'll continue checking the obvious, but if anyone has any other ideas they would surely be welcomed! If all my limited knowledge fails I guess I can truck her up to Santa Fe, NM to the dealer Centaur Cycles (great people) and have them scratch their heads over it since she's got a lot of warranty left. (Just don't like the idea of spending $250 on gas to get her up there & back :'(
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:13 pm
You can ground the lead in the right tool box and read the codes by how many times the lights blink when you turn the ignition on. 

On the G5 it's under the seat. Right on the connector that plugs into the ECU.

Here's the codes,
MIL BLINK CONTENT
Engine will start but not perform to its potential. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 0 SHORT 6 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 0 SHORT 9 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 1 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 7 O2 Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 5 O2 Sensor heater circuit malfunctioning

Engine will NOT Start but will crank. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 1 SHORT 5 Rollover Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 3 Injector circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 7 Ignition Coil circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 1 Fuel Pump circuit malfunctioning
LONG 6 SHORT 6 Crankshaft position circuit malfunctioning
Testing Procedure using the Test pin in the vehicle
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:11:04 pm
Thanks t120rbullet for that info...I'll see what she reads and at least either myself or the dealer will have a better idea on the cause :)
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:17:33 pm
..now that she's cooled down a little I can get it started and it idles, but when she gets a teensy throttle, she dies. I'll continue checking the obvious, but if anyone has any other ideas they would surely be welcomed!

Your G5 dies if you give a little bit of throttle from idle.  Does the engine keep running if you give more than a little bit throttle, passing that throttle spot where it dies ?

If there is just a 'dead' spot between idle and good turn of throttle (without engine dying), you can slightly increase the idle speed - and then check it again.  A good and new spark plug may also be needed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:31:46 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:34 pm
Sorry to hear about your problem! As stated on CJs post, if there is a code stored the MIL light should stay on continuously when it is switched to run. If it comes on and goes off, there is most likely not a code stored. Can you hear the fuel pump come on and turn off when switched to run? Does it sound strong/even or irregular/erratic? Check battery voltage? if the battery voltage is too low the ECU can't "think". Sounds like it is starving for gas for some reason.

Good luck!! Let us know what is found out.

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 12:00:56 am
Thanks singhg5 & Chris-G5...no dead spot in throttle...more and she still dies, idle speed fine (for me) put in a new plug with no difference. Fuel pump sings fine and light goes out like it's supposed to. Battery is fine....me thinks its a fuel/ecu issue. Going to make me a stiff drink, stroke the beard, scratch the bald spot and ponder. I honestly appreciate the brotherhood and knowledge from you Enfield Buddys. Will keep you posted on what's happening.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:17:37 am
....me thinks its a fuel/ecu issue.

It can be a fuel or ecu issue - as you said.  

The service manual has a good list that may save you having to take it to dealer.  I am just listing them here so that you can go over your bike and see if it helps in any way.  Some have already been mentioned but here it goes  -

-  Low Idle RPM
- Fuel is stale
- Low Fuel Level
- Fuel Line Clogged
- Fuel Vent Clogged in fuel tank cap
- Insufficient fuel pump pressure
- Weak battery
- Loose Electrical connection
- Fouled Spark plug
- Loose Spark Plug Wire
- Loose or cracked throttle body to engine hose / air filter to throttle body
- Fuel injector partially blocked
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:33:15 am
this is where this ecu thing can get frustrating...i be looking for a loose connection...does taking the battery positive cable off for minute perform a reset of the ecu.....i'm thinking of a forced reboot but as u can c i own a iron but thinking of hard reboot of a cpu....

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:45:14 am
this is where this ecu thing can get frustrating...i be looking for a loose connection...does taking the battery positive cable off for minute perform a reset of the ecu.....i'm thinking of a forced reboot but as u can c i own a iron but thinking of hard reboot of a cpu....

Disconnecting the battery will do nothing. The ECU is not a learning ECU it's fixed to do what it has to do so there is nothing stored to erase. You might find a bad ground wire though!

A loose connection to any of the sensors should show up with a code.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:46:48 am
that answers that...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:56:41 am
On the G5 it's under the seat. Right on the connector that plugs into the ECU.

Oops!  Sorry I gave you the C5 location.  Still, see what it says.  It's easy to use and may answer your question right away.  EFI is great but one sensor goes out and the whole thing can die.

Scott

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 02:27:37 pm
Update on my G5 issues...Took her to the dealer 440mi round trip and left her with them. I received a call yesterday afternoon that they first looked at the obvious issues as I did. They finally found the green connector for the diagnostic test and it said a fault in the throttle body unit. The amperage checked out to book specs so the dealer was going to put a new ecu unit to see if it ran right. They thought the "brains" weren't telling the engine when to correctly send the spark. I'll keep you all posted on when and what corrects the issue. Again I appreciate your input. They also had two new black 5's there...sweet lookers!
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic