Author Topic: G5 UCE acting up..  (Read 24289 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 05:27:11 pm
Scott, I just checked the receipt but it was just for the service not the repairs. They said they were going to mail me the paperwork for the warranty work. I'm sure Al can get you that info.

The parts look fairly generic. They add two terminals that are exposed to the elements vs a sealed unit but it allows you to jump/bypass the relay for testing. Also allows you to replace a bad cable or relay separately.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 05:44:12 pm
That's Al @ BMW Fresno, right?  I'll give him a call later.

Thanks,

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 06:17:15 pm
The factory sees each and every warranty claim. When there is something that looks really odd or seems to be a trend we also follow up with them. These things are handled in a couple of different way.
1. Is it really an issue or is it a one off or a failure that cannot be documented. We see some of this although not as often as you might think. It is a dealer problem or a PDI problem or is it a really problem.

2. If it is a real issue the factory will start the process of looking at it. They will dissect the problem and the engineers will propose a solution. It will then be tested  if that goes well it will be put into effect as a running upgrade. The factory has quality teams that list issues, put them in priority and then solve them. The hardest thing to do is to quantify the nature and scope of the problem.

3. The solutions can be simple or complex. Often times it is as simple as working with a vendor or the materials department, sometimes it is a complete engineering rework. The starter solenoid and the sidestand switch are two examples. Both are suppler problems with a design element also involved.

4. The solenoid issue is normally made worse by excessive cranking of the engine. The sidestand switch can be weak and also and could also could be subject to an installation design switch.

5. In the case of the solenoid when we get a warranty claim (US only) we send out an aftermarket unit that we found that will start a battleship. This is to make it better for the customer.

Royal Enfield is EXCELLENT when it comes to warranty coverage. As the importer I have a lot of latitude in terms of how we handle things. Unless it is obvious abuse, aftermarket FUBAR or some other thing that is not included in the warranty we generally take care of warranty quickly and easily. I can ONLY speak for the US. Your experience in other countries will and publicly does vary. Royal Enfield backs up our business practices here quite well.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 06:44:55 pm
Kevin,

I can't tell where Scott is from but I would think he is still covered by the warranty. He also hasn't determined if it is the battery, solenoid or sidestand switch from what I have read here.

As always I am very impressed by you and the folks in Fresno!
 ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #49 on: April 21, 2011, 06:50:00 pm
Yup, I'm under warranty and I'm in Portland, OR.  Kevin, is there any info I can give to Justin and Pedro so they know what to ask you for on this?  They hadn't heard of any warranty work for the solenoids.

Thanks,

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #50 on: April 21, 2011, 07:55:53 pm
Kevin, thanks for chiming in. Thats been my experience with repairs/issues so far. Thank you.

I forget, is our warranty just one year or two years in the US? Its a scary prospect of going out of warranty on a bike as unreliable as this one. I'm just bringing my bike into the dealer with a pretty good list of things to fix, mostly electrical, but one of which almost left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

If you really have trust in the quality of this brand, please consider extending these warranties! :)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #51 on: April 21, 2011, 08:24:29 pm
Get some miles on the bike and don't worry.  It seems all the minor issues come up sooner so you should be able to get anything sorted under warranty.  The warranty is 2 years and unlimited mileage, IIRC.

Scott

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
  • 10 RE G5...this be a fun bike!
Reply #52 on: April 23, 2011, 04:01:59 am
Hurrah Gentlemen!!! Picked up my Baby today ('twas Good Friday)...all seems well with the total warranty crankshaft positioner sensor (which is attatched to the stator as one unit) replaced within a working week. She Runs Again. Excellent NM dealer (Centaur Cycles in Santa Fe NM) said dist. tech rep (Kevin or his friends) had only heard of this 3-4 times. Totally satisfied with a quick trip around town (Will let you all know after a couple o hundred miles more) No problems with warranty work from RE. Yeah I can chime in on the teensy wiring, but she doesn't cost as much as other bikes, and she has heritage and quite good looking I might add. Thanks again Fellows for all your advice and knowledge....this is a Great Community. Happy Easter Ya'll
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
97 Buell Thunderbolt - Widowmaker
09 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator
10 RE G5 Classic

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: April 23, 2011, 11:36:21 pm
Hurrah Gentlemen!!! Picked up my Baby today ('twas Good Friday)...all seems well with the total warranty crankshaft positioner sensor (which is attatched to the stator as one unit) replaced within a working week.

@Mugwomp:

Great to hear that you have your grin back on the face ;D.  

So it was the crankshaft position sensor that was not working - as was pointed by SSR of the Forum.  Was it the sensor or the wire that was broken ? Do you know what caused it ?  

They finally found the green connector for the diagnostic test and it said a fault in the throttle body unit.

The amperage checked out to book specs so the dealer was going to put a new ecu unit to see if it ran right. They thought the "brains" weren't telling the engine when to correctly send the spark.

Didn't the dealer earlier say that there was fault in throttle body (TPS) based on diagnostic codes. Did he read the diagnostic code correctly ?

Was the diagnostic code misleading ?

Then they also suggested ECU was problem.  So it was trial and error that lead to solve the problem.  May be they read the post of SSR on this Forum that prompted them to look at the crank position sensor !  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:43:33 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #54 on: April 24, 2011, 02:16:10 am
Hey singhg5 they said the sensor was faulty...a small plug in unit but it's attatched to the stator and it only comes as a unit...wires weren't broken so I guess it was just the sensor. The brain first said the throttle body sensor, but when the amperage was tested and correct tech support said they thought it was the crank position sensor. Don't know if the diagnostic code was misleading or what. Just glad she's still under warranty. Ride Safe Ya'll.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 12:56:54 am
I trust as with a lot of forums I am on / have been on from HD to BMW to Porsche - you tend to hear a lot about the problems . Having just gotten my C_5 I really hope the bike is more reliable than you would be led to believe reading some of these posts!

Then again on the BMW coupe forum there were 45 posts on the "stubby antenna install" that my 4 year old grandson could do blindfolded  :o
Dr B

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 01:20:00 am
Having just gotten my C_5 I really hope the bike is more reliable than you would be led to believe reading some of these posts!

@drbvac:

Welcome to the Forum.

Many bikes are running quite well without any problem at all or only minor 'stuff' that does not necessarily require a mechanic to fix it !  Don't worry or lose sleep.

One reason that you see these detailed posts and issues is because for most of RE owners there are no near by dealers or proper mechanics to help. The Forum members discuss and share their experiences and they do their own maintenance to a large extent or as much as they can.  Also RE owners tend to become sort-of-mechanics, that is the heritage of this bike - Making mechanics out of riders for the last hundred years  ;D !

However, these bikes are not Hondas.  They require some TLC (tender loving care).  Just go through the general maintenance tips and schedules that are posted here and follow them. These include - lube cables, lube joints, lube chain, change oil and filter frequently, rust prevention application with ACF50, keep proper tyre pressure, keep battery fully charged, tighten ALL the nuts and bolts for the first few months (this is really important).  Also - do not lug engine, and do not over heat the engine - take breaks to cool off engine if riding long distance.

Keep on riding with a grin on the face until something happens - and then you can worry  ;) !
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:50:54 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 02:44:30 pm
I thought as much and am already into it - half the fun of riding is knowing your bike like the back of your hand - I dont trust any machine I cant fix or have no idea how it works = my old 63 volkswagon - all you needed was a hammer and a scredriver and a pair of vice grips to fix almost anything.

Thats why I detest electrical problems  ???
Dr B

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 08:18:48 pm
 >:( Well Crap! Took the baby for a ride this morning and about 3 miles of her running great, she just died like I hit the kill switch or turned the ignition off!!! No backfire this time, just died :( The kill switch works (no fuel pump singing with it off, turn it on and the pump sings like she should) Guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow when they open and probably make another 450 mile round trip. A little disheartening to say the least.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
10 RE G5 Classic

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: April 25, 2011, 08:29:44 pm
so much for the sensor...just maybe its something else  but then again sounds like same symptoms....geeze 450 miles round trip...there goes your day....might ask them to drive it around fopr a week  and see if the problem rears its ugly head after they fix it....
Oh Magoo you done it again