Author Topic: Choices  (Read 12170 times)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
on: March 31, 2011, 06:22:33 pm
I love REs and am waiting my chance to buy one.   Meantime, without looking, the opportunity to by a 2 previous owner (current owner from 1 year post initial production) 1974 BMW   R 75 just owned by a Class A mechanic and kept under a tarp indoors for many years while he and his wife rode their Harleys' (which she preferred due to saddle height issues to her matching BMW R 60 currently apart but also available ) has come up.  No price yet negotiated.  Bike is supposed to be pristine.  Farings, original paint, respoked.   
I am  no mechanic and sure don't need endless headaches of a used vintage machine and all that could go wrong with it .  Mileage 47,0000 .  I hear however, that BMWs of that age are very simple to work on and , with the driveshaft , air cooling etc pretty bulletproof.   
SO   , from the collective wisdom of all you multibike owners, is this the opportunity of a lifetime that I would be nuts to pass up, or is this the siren song of temptation enticing me away from the RE which actually speaks to my heart and seems to be shaping up as a bike that fits my aptitude for maintenance (lowish, but willing to improve)     Thoughts?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:54:26 pm
It's one of the real classic BMWs.
It could give you something to ride while waiting to buy your RE.

They are relatively mundane motorcycles without much personality, but they will get you to the grocery store all right, and you can tour to another city or across country with it, if it holds up.
Mine didn't.

I'm not a BMW fan. I would commit Seppuku before buying another one. Worst motorcycle I ever owned. If I could have found even one endearing quality in it, I might have been able to partially overlook how horribly unreliable it was.
I bought mine because I was suckered-in by the "German engineering" legend, which I found out was actually just "crap engineering".
My stock Iron Barrel Bullet was 1000% more reliable than my BMW ever was.

YMMV, but my experience with BMW was horrible.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:02:23 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:06:02 pm
I've ridden many thousands of miles on a 1975 R/75, It's Brilliant trouble free, easy to maintain motorcycle. I toured the USA on a '84 BMW R80/RT it was an even better bike, I put 90.000 miles on it with zero problems. Change the oil and tires when needed and an occasional (easy) valve adjustment and you are good to go.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:09:17 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:41:19 pm
Wow ; ACE.  Such passion.  Hit a nerve there whereas you are normally so layed back.  But I hear you and respect your opinion because if anyone knows about motorcycles, I think you do.  .  Reputations have such inertia, either holding them  when erhaps undeserved (BMW) or earing them after periods when they were not great or not known (RE).  Thanks for your input.   Seems like this may be a polarized topic  Nigel .

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:44:13 pm
YMMV??????

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:18:02 pm
YMMV, means "your mileage may vary", and is a generic term which is used to say that your experiences may not be the same as mine.

I'm willing to admit that my experience may have been an anomaly, and that others are very happy with theirs.
However, even if it was an anomaly, it's an anomaly that I won't risk repeating.

On the "good" side of it, mine was a fairly decent looking bike, in a plain sort of way.
When it wasn't broken and stranding me on the roadside, it rode with fair comfort, but very "plain white bread" kind of appeal. Not much for speed, and handling wasn't anything out of the ordinary. In fact, it was a very ordinary plain machine. Boringly plain in every way. I'd classify it as a "transportation" bike for getting to a destination, and not really for enjoying the ride.
Parts costs were astronomical. And mine broke ALOT.

I came into this bike after owning 3 Ducatis and a Laverda and a Benelli, all from the mid-1970s vintage. None of which are known for being paragons of reliability. I never had any trouble keeping them going, and I was never stranded with any of them.  There are very few machines that I can't keep going.
I'm not even sure how many times I was stranded on the road with the BMW I had.
The guy with the flat-bed tow truck knew me real well after a while.
Eventually, I sold it for a few hundred bucks to a neighbor's kid who wanted to learn about bikes. I never wanted to see it again.
When I sold it, it had 28k original miles on it. I bought it with 18k miles on it.

Ever since then, every time I hear those 3 letters mentioned, my blood pressure goes thru the roof.

That R75 might be a perfectly fine bike that would last for many miles, and serve you well.
It's just not something I would ever buy myself, after what I went thru.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:16:20 pm by ace.cafe »

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:12:43 pm
wow.condemning an entire line of motorcycle?
i manage the local beemer shop and have owned 3 or 4 versions of the "airhead"
i was anti Norton based on the experience I had with one.
I had a bad experience with women once too, I didn't swear them off nor did i spread my bitterness to people that looked to me for advice.
The R75/5, like any older bike or car has its weak points. virtually no brakes, weak charging system, clunky transmission.
But, like an old car or bike, they can be easily upgraded. The parts interchangeability is amazing.
That being said, the R75/5 is bringing crazy money these days. They are a cult bike really sought after.
If it has the chrome panels on the fuel tank, its a "toaster model" worth even more money. These bikes were meant to drone on forever (100K plus miles) on the freeway and handle pretty well in the mountains. On the /5, you can cruise all day at 70-75 until you need gas. The C5 and the BMW are like comparing oranges to grapefruits. Similar, but very different. Like many older bikes, including RE, there are lots of "fixes" to make the bike reliable and roadworthy.. electronic ignition, improved alternator and diode make a big difference. its easy to figure out who has the good stuff and decide from there. Check with other owners and see what experiances you hear of.
Feel freel to email me for any help i can offer. Big Al
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:32:09 pm by Tri750 »
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:42:58 pm
Ran out of room.
I've had a 60k mile R75/6, a much improved 750 that had a front disc and 5 speed, an R90S, the hotrod 900 with Delorto carbs, dual discs and over 300K miles on it when I bought it from the original owner, a 75k mile '79 R100S  that was reliable and very pretty but was a bit of a bore to ride until I changed the rear end to a higher numerically unit and put some BUB mufflers on it. and my current airhead, a R75/5 based  vintage racer that now has a disc brake front end, a 1000cc top end, sport camshaft, lightended flywheel, mikuni carbs and the long wheelbase conversion.
At the very worst, if the BMW is cheap enough, you can resell it for a profit if you don't care for it and help pay for the RE.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 12:23:54 am
Interesting discussion.   To be honest I have no "feeling" for the R 75 other than a general sense of respect for what I thought was an iconic machine of its time.  It certainly doesn't have the visceral draw for me of the RE (I'm a G5/B5 man actually)

The particular circumstance in which it came to my attention was a women who saw my B 5 screen saver image and remarked that she had "5 motorcycles in her basement" then clarified "3 in the basement 2 in the garage.  Three Harleys of various vintage '93 and later , and two BMWs, the 600 in pieces and the R 75 under a tarp in the basement. 
When I cocked a quizical eyebrow , she went on to explain that she and her husband were motorcycle afficianado's but that he had passed away just a few months ago (which I did not to that point know) and that this bike had been her husband's well loved baby until he stopped using it to join her and the Harley crowd (lower seat height---she is quite short and striggled with her BMW 600)  He was a mechaninc and never parted with anything so there it sat for I gather at least the last 5 and possibly more years :  It was respoked last year ? in an attempt to prepare it for sale, but this was before his brief and fatal illness.    She is currently in a bit of a daze and I think seeing the motorcycle image on my laptop and hearing my moto-enthusiasm was the first time she actually put words to her intention to sell this machine.
I wouldn't feel right "flipping it for profit (If I thought it had collector value, I would simply telll her to sell it to someone who was a BMW collector for the best dollar.  She emailed a local dealer (I presume for an off the cuff estimate.)  If she does decide to proceed, I would only be interested if the cost were low enough for me to swing..otherwise I will just keep saving. 
However, the discussion does, I think frame an interesting issue for the growing brand consciousness of the RE , and I launched the thread n this forum not to be a traitor , but because I respect the opinion of all the contributors to it.  Nigel

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:09:36 am
I would not swear off a brand because of one bad bike. That said, if someone offered me an R65 like my old one, I would not take it for free! All bikes have issues. Some call it character or personality. Sportbike ride with Goldwing handling. ::) The dreaded "Shaft Drive Effect" was actually a plus. More ground clearance if you accelerate through the curves.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 04:15:31 am
I would not swear off a brand because of one bad bike. That said, if someone offered me an R65 like my old one, I would not take it for free! All bikes have issues. Some call it character or personality. Sportbike ride with Goldwing handling. ::) The dreaded "Shaft Drive Effect" was actually a plus. More ground clearance if you accelerate through the curves.

Mine was also an R65.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 06:24:08 am
I understand. I bought mine new. With only a few thousand miles on it, it tried to throw me off in a high speed wobble! After a close encounter with a red light running station wagon, it was no more. I don't miss it.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
Hello Nigel and Ace,
        Hey Ace ! I guess that for you, BMW stands for " Bring My Wallet " ! Hey Nigel, I currently own a Harley 79' Shovelhead, A brand new RE G5 Deluxe, and a Vespa, ( for getting around Fan Francisco ! ). I have owned two BMWs' in the past, A 1962 R60 w/ sidecar, and a 1974 R75, and had ZERO problems with them. They were the most trouble-free and reliable bikes I have ever owned. One contributing factor is they didn't have a dam COMPUTER in them !! They were so smooth and quiet, that I got bored and went and brought a Harley ! I needed some noise and vibration. If I were you, I'd buy the BMW and, when you can, The Royal Enfield. That way, you'll have a bike to fit your mood. Either sport or touring. I love my RE,and I always have an eye out for a good used BMW. Ace, sorry you had a bad experience with a BMW. Very rare.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:00:08 pm
I meant " San Francisco " !

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 11:13:19 am
When I was 20 and suffering from a Yamaha SR500-eperience (i.e. very mixed machining, spare parts - if existent at all - ridicolous expensive etc.) I wanted to get a real bike - a BMW! After months of searching I finally got a R90/6 and never sold it since. Currently she is awaiting her second major overhaul. I´m buzy with my RE, though, so she will have to wait a bit.
If you look at the available bikes in 1969, the time when the direct ancestor R75/5 was introduced, this bike must have been outstanding: no British vibrator, no Japanese toy-bike, no Italian breakdowner - a German Autobahn-bike! Capable of running 170 km/h all day long and being quite comfortable along the way it must have felt like riding a bullet  ;D.
The advancing 70ies, however, highlighted the weak spots of a construction that featured medieval and futuristic details directly nearby: ignition and elctric system surprisingly weak, the new disc front brakes basically a gross faulty design, roadholding severly compromized by the cardanic shaft  that produces irritating torque.
In contradiction to Ace´s unkind words ( :P)  I experienced that machining genarally is very good, even today all parts are available wihout an problem at decent prices.
To ride that bike today, Br. Schraub, you have to take care of the electric system - including ignition - and the brakes, in case your BMW shows a modern ( ::)) disc design. It´s not too complicated though to mount a full-hydraulic double-disc-design in the front as parts are interchangeble up to the 80ies! But I guess the bike in question is a 75/5, so it has the drum design, which is quite sufficient.
It´s not possible to improve the roadholding, though. In Germany these BMWs have the nickname "Gummikuh" - rubber cow. If you open up the throttle, you are moving upwards first before you accellerate - cardanic torque! You have to get used to that, as it means you should never (really never!) close the throttle beeing inclined - the bike´s rear will collapse like a house of cards, creating and unwelcomed curve and reducing the possible incline angle - no good, that! Gummikuh-riders prefer to open up throttle while beeing inclined as that has a stabilizing effect and keeps your curve round instead of hexagonal.
A BMW is so much different from a Bullet! The Indian longrunner is fleet-footed and tame, creating even in average riders like me a feeling of confidence in your skills.
Unlike the boxer! The turbine-like engine in combination with the tenacious handling presents a challenge for even experienced riders, as it´s always clear that this can be a very fast bike - if you know how (and avoid making mistakes!).
Both bikes though share a common attribute: a very unique character. That´s why both a great fun, most of the time  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 04:31:50 pm
you guys are really giving the tell all about BMW'S...Thank  u and I think I'll pass...BMW - bring my wallet   ;D Sounds like a Harley ..I guess if u want to play  u have to be able to pay... I don't think u convinced ace re. dependability....U know once u been bitten u dont like to stick your hand back in....I'll stickwith the enfield for the raw feeling and my yamaha for the appliance..But I like the look of the old airheads..
Oh Magoo you done it again

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 04:39:46 pm
I recently bought a 1970 r75/5.  I always wanted one since I was a kid.  I'm kind-of happy with it.  I love the engine and the four speed transmission.  The drum brake is BETTER than the disk of the mid 70's bike and is plenty adequate.  People have mixed experiences with them.  I've spoken to people who have driven 100,000s miles with no problems.  Others have issues with them from the start.  Mine has early horrible bing carburetors and I had to realign the front end to tame it's instabilities.  They are easy to work on but they are unlike any other motorcycle to work on also- tapered wheel bearings, shaft spline lubrication, peculiar triple clamp, separate oil for engine, transmission, drive-shaft, and rear-end etc.  Bottom line is if you buy it and like it you'll overlook it's shortcomings.  People either love 'em or not.  I'll probably be shopping for an RE myself, though, as I'm having a hard time drinking the Bavarian cool aid.  ::)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 08:05:17 pm
...  I'll probably be shopping for an RE myself, though, as I'm having a hard time drinking the Bavarian cool aid.  ::)

Try a Bavarian beer on tap.  You won't have a hard time with that!   ;D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 10:25:25 pm
I loved the BMW's but I don't miss them. I don't miss the Harleys, BSA's,  Triumph's and various others either. I'm finally at a place in my life where I can within reason ride anything I want, and I do, a Red Royal Enfield C5 ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:28:16 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:38 am
Well gentlemen (and ladies------I knoooow you're out there ---who knows, maybe masquerading under one of these uber masculine forum names)   thank you all for your input.
   Interesting result of comparing two iconic machines (Bullet and BMW R 75) and the polarities of opinion about the latter.   I wonder (not asking mind you, just wondering ) how different the response would have been if I'd said I had an exclusive on a low mileage mint condition Honda CB 750:  I throw this out there just as a contrast, because I don't think I have ever herad a serious negative opinion about a Honda product, whereas it is clear that there are definite mixed reactions to the BMW line "technically sophisticated" though it may be. 
In fact I almost come to the conclusion after reviewing all the opinions offered, that the boys at Bayerische Moteren Werke have accomplished a triumph of technique over reason in creating a machine that takes the FUN out of FUNCTION . (Bauhaous principal of form follows function may apply better to kitchen gizmos , furniture and architecture than it does to motorcycles which --don't stone me now----are at least for most of us inherently somewhat impractical (read "toys" ) which is probably why we love them.)  Very odd that an engine design (boxer)  which is the epitome of theoretical design perfection for the elimination of vibration isn't nearly as fun an a  noncounterbalanced  big single  that ,with the possible exception of the noncounterbalanced parallel twin, is the theoretical worst case of engine design.   Yet there it is :  Even the people who said the BMW was "brilliant " reliable , etc seemed to fall short of actually saying it was fun. 
I had a long time to think today (my 6 hour commute north-fortunately in my car since the last hour was in snow and sleet) and  a number of things became clear. to me:
1) The music playlist I took for the trip was , Rolling Stones , Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Santana Abraxis, ...well  you get the picture.  I like my music a little
                            Rough and Edgy               
  probably the same way I like my motorcycles.
2) I'd sooner have personality than smooth silent turbine like performance
3)  No way I want to hurtle through space tat 170 km per hour without a steel cage around me, even if it is possible
4)  I am more of a leather  (or even waxed cotton ) kind of guy than one of those high tech bright  contrast colour space age fabric high performance European motosuit kind of guys.
5) I am no mechanic and a lot of things can go wrong with even the best old bike
6) My B 5 or G 5 screen saver pictures (which do precious little to save my screen come to think of it-though I change them back and forth  from time to time just to keep it interesting ) never , and I mean never fail to bring a smile to my face:  Tried the BMW test---no smile from the picture---and I am gusesing no grin from the ride:  One of the Last poster "jartist " alluded to this when he said that after long years of anticipation  he finally got his R 75 and "was kind of happy with it" 
&) It is more than somewhat  telling that so many of yo have had BMW and other great machines in the past, yet are now riding RE (Rough and Edgy)  and grinning like born fools.
All things considered , I think I will leave this gem to a BMW enthusiast and keep saving for my Bullet:  There are two-the R 65  and R 75, both single owner since the first year, so if there is anyone out there that is keen and has the ability to maintain these, let me know and I will link you up.  The bikes are in central Ontario.  Thanks again. Nigel

P.S. I appreciate the indulgence  the members of this forum  have extended to  me - a not yet owner.  I will follow with a post on some int ereting insights into the 500 single from a magazine article I read that I hope you enjoy. 

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:04 am
Whew,
Was this the RE forum equivalent to the Fram oil filter and Champoin spark plug debates the other forums have once a week?
Outstanding! I think we agreed to disagree. More fun and we usually get to hear from some of the less "vocal" members.
I'm happy.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Iron Man

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 01:54:22 am
I DIG all of the give and take, pros and cons, likes and dislikes, varied (yet passionate) discourse on MOTORCYCLES from the folks on this forum.  Even the oil and plug debates (great entertainment  and i always learn something ;D )

I just thank the forum gods we ain't talking politics or religion.   ::)  :)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 04:53:43 pm
aah the forum... i'm sorely addicted.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 05:59:08 pm
Nige, a Honda 750 is a perfectly fine transportation appliance. It will probably do everything better or as well as the RE. Does it feed the fantasy? Nope.

BTW, seriously if someone gives you an R65 BMW they are not your friend. Can one person take out a life insurance policy on another? I would check that before riding an R65. See who might benefit. The R65 is the worst piece of shit on two wheels. EVER.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 06:18:09 pm
I see you've never owned a Puch twingle.
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 06:46:24 pm
My Puch was great! Had it for over 30 years with no problems until someone stole it. OK, it was a Maxi not a Twingle.

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 08:59:14 pm
It is more than somewhat telling that so many of yo have had BMW and other great machines in the past, yet are now riding RE (Rough and Edgy)  and grinning like born fools.  

I resemble that remark.  However, my G5 is a workhorse that I depend on for my daily commute and on backroads 20miles from nowhere. It has done splendidly so far and although it is all business when I ride it during the week, occasionally I find myself grinning when I look into my sidemirrors laying down on the tank at 70 miles per hour. ;D

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 01:31:18 am
Hey Olhogrider,
        Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about the R65 !

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 06:10:41 am
Sorry for sugar coating it. I was trying to be polite about the R65.  ;)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:01 am
"Olhogrider"   Did you get your bike running again?   What was the problem that stranded you.?  Is the the same problem each time, or different problems.  ? Nigel

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 04:42:59 pm
"Olhogrider"   Did you get your bike running again?   What was the problem that stranded you.?  Is the the same problem each time, or different problems.  ? Nigel

If I wiggle the wire that feeds the electrical system it goes on and off. I suspect the tiny plug that connects the power to the system. Today I'll solder that connection to see if it was the plug or the wire itself. I'll post my results. First I need a bottle of Lucas Electrical Smoke to refill the system.  ;)

Dan

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:21 pm
It is starting to look to me (just listening to the various problems people encounter that the reliability situation for RE has shifted from mechanicals to electricals, specifically connections. 
If  I understand right , the wiring harnesses are US made.   The EFI  and control units are Japanese made, and neither of these items should be inherently less reliable thatn any other major world brand.   The problems seem to be arising from the connections, and I wonder if the fact that these ultra modern gizmos are being used on an old fashioned thumper is part of the problem----ie it shakes things off unless they are anchored well.   It could be then, simply a matter of better anchoring of cables --soldering of splices , stiffened end connectors for battery cable ends, ground wires etc, and maybe even higher spec wires for some of these functions if the wire ends themselves are fraying or breaking.  It would be a horrible shame if RE suffered an image problem from something as silly as loose wires.    If this is the source of some of the nagging stranding problems (and this comment/question) is directed at SCOOTER BOB , then some very simple quality assurance pre factory shipping (or post improtation if shipping loosens thing)  steps should clear this up.   What a waste if they have assembled all the right bits and pieces, REengineered what should be a stunning engine good for years of service , only to scare off the market for LOOSE WIRE CONNECTIONS.   Such a cheap fix,  So much more important than another colour paint or chrome styling change for securing a loyal market. and establishing a reputation .  This plus maybe   a smatterring of nylock nuts and stainless fasteners would be well spent to secure the huge investment they have made in major product development advances.  All especially so since this machine is dead in the water without it's electronic, whereas a machine like the Suzuki S 40 which has an absolutely bulletproof reliability record is much less sensitive to such things because it is carburetted and doesn't have fancy on board diagnostics.  RAISE THE PRICE A FEW HUNDRED IF THAT IS WHAT IT TAKES TO DO THE QA STEPS NEEDED TO NOT LET THIS KIND OF PROBLEM GET OUT OF THE FACTORY.   Anyone can figure out whether a cylinder is getting fuel spark and air., and can usually fix this at the roadside, but throw electronics into the mix with loose wires, =stranded=bad press=poor reputation=disgruntled previously loyal customers.  Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  If the factory won't do this, Maybe there should be a US/Canada  dealer prep process to remedy the predictable problems before they hit the showroom floor..  Flashy chrome and solo sprung seats will sell a few machines, but the disappointment of the non gearheads buying them and encountering problems will lose a lot more customers in the end.   I want these machines to succeed (anyone can tell that form my posts ).  I know RE does too,  but they need to attend to these details:   Now.  And ownig it and publicizing their QA campaiign would be a great move.   Thoughts? . Nigel .     

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 07:08:30 pm
the Suzuki s40 is a great proven bike and I actually like them...I see them for sale quite often and the older ones are just as bullet proof as the newer ones ( same basic design for what/15 years)...You can actually pick up used ones for 2-3 k that are in great condition..After taking off my Enfield taillight last week, I don't think that u can compare the electrics between the two manufactures...Lets not forget that the s40 doesn't  have nearly the shake rattle n roll that the bullet has..That being stated, I could see where a good redo of the electrics might be the order of the day, especially if u r experiencing problems of the sort...Nigel. I haven't seen the electrics on the newer machines but from the sounds of it, their seems to be some sorting out in the forcast.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 09:22:05 pm
Someone just came out with a bolt on cafe racer kit that uses the S40 as a base with the stock frame.  Pretty cool but a little pricey unless you can get the bike real cheap.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/suzuki-s40-caf-racer-by-ryca-motors-ar90298.html

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 09:51:37 pm
In my more desparate moments I have actually thought of doing the Ryca like rear wheel hub respoke to 18 inch rim  and putting on the 12 1/2 shocks plus some custom seat mods to turn a Suzuki into a standard just because they are so damn reliiable, but surely we should expect RE to have similar reliability shouldn't we.   The engine is good,  the brakes are good, the EFI CPU is good,   It just needs to be more carefully sorted;  Maybe the Indian market doesn't need this , though that seems incongruis to me.  If the reputation was  forged there by a durable fix at the roadside and keep going machine, they are going to lose market crdibility even there if they try to convert the traditional loyal indian following to people who constantly need to stop (ar be stranded) and fiddle with wires to "guess: why it won't go today.  My point is, this can be a world class product with just a little more effort......much less effort than they have already invested,   All these little fiddly probems should be preventable with some fairly simple upgrades or wire guages , connectors and care and attention.  There is no point having a dream machine when it fails unpredicatably from loose connections.   All structures fail at the junction of their point of attachment between fixed and moving, no more so than in automotive vibreation scenarios, :  Cable sleeves to protect these points may help.  I don't know, I just hate to hear riders like Dan frustrated by a loose wire, when they love the bike and shuld only feel like being ambassadors for it.  I invoked the S 40 not to compare quality control, though why not, but to point out that being less technically sophisticated makes it somewhat immune to some of the nuisance problems affecting UCEs.  Put differently, if the UCE is going to be ultra moderne, the wiring better be up to the task, because the mechanicals    Style and great engine creds don't mean anything to someone stranded   Nigel

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:06 pm
I've owned a S40 and a C5, I've had no reliability problems with either of them, I much prefer the RE over the Suzi,  S40's are nice but not bullet proof, oil leaks at the head and stretched timing chains are common on them, the tiny gas tank is a pain in the neck and if you are over 5' tall the riding position is cramped.
Iron Butt Association

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 11:43:07 pm
Good to hear.  I guess I should clarify that I have never had the patience to figure out how to use the camera on my cell phone because I got it to be a phone not a camera, and when I have to coordinate 3 remotes to figure out how to get from DVD back to satellite my mind kind of glazes over.  I prefer stuff that is intuitively  precisely what you see, with no complicated sequences of inputs and "reboots" to program some invisible functions.  I go snake eyed when my work computer mysteriously dumps me and I have to go through the whole login thing again (usually a few times doing  everything the same but strangely only working the third time)  .    So I fear I wouldn't  wouldn't cope  as well as Dan  fiddling with loose wires if the problem wasn't immediately apparent.    Probably my outlook today is jaded by wrestling with those very computers all  this week.    But your experience is reassuring.  Maybe the problem angle on things is artificially exaggerated on a forum such as this since people are less apt to write in saying they got to and from work trouble free again and had fun doing it, then they are to come to the forum  group with a vexing or recurrent problem  (And in all fairness, Dan only mentioned his problem in response to me singing the praises of the UCE as the near perfect expression of the solo bike. which I firmly believe. it can be. At least you guys have wives that ask you why you prefer this machine to your last.  Mine asks why I an crazy enough to want another motorcycle period!!  Can't afford to give her any more ammunition by buying one that doesn't work.
Can you amplify on the way(s) in which you prefer your RE to S 40?  Is it style, ride, posture, performance, or intangible.   Nigel.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 11:56:04 pm
I like the RE over the Suzi for all of those reasons and more, It gives me what I want and what I need out of a motorcycle. A broken wire is a mole hill, not a mountain, it can happen to any vehicle at any time and I sure wouldn't waste any time worrying about it. Any machine made by man can and will crap out sooner or later. ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:31:07 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 01:04:20 am
5 minutes with a soldering iron and I was back on the road. Went 100 miles without so much as a hiccup.

Dan

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 02:29:29 am
What??? Suzuki S 40?
the mere mention of the S40 makes my blood boil!
And Suzuki?? Gaaa!!!
Nevermore.
I had a bad experience with a Suzuki years ago
and to this day I spit in the general direction
of the Suzuki HQ when mentioned.
The way they flaunt  their special "S" font in Suzuki
makes them think they are soooo special.
Indeed!
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 02:35:25 am
  Yeah, the engines are made of the cheapest monkey metal alloy I've ever seen, thread strip city for the unlearned.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:46:23 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 03:40:12 am
wow okay then and i do notice that big S on theior cars too.... :o

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 06:33:57 am
Well, I got here late, but I think I'll kick the body just to make REALLY sure it's dead ~

I have had at least one BMW for 40 years.  My first was a single (R27) and I've done a huge amount of traveling 'cross country and in the short stuff- mostly on an R69S and an R65LS.   IMO, BMW's have the best ergonomics from any factory.   I've had 3 1952 R67's and they were uncomfortable, but the rest are great after 1955.
They are like Enfields in some ways;  fanatic owners with several websites/forums that offer all kinds of help for repairs and maintenance.   

Does this look like a hi-con Aerostitch-wearing yuppie?

Run what ya brung

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 11:40:56 am
In my opinion r80RT is correct in saying that electric problems can happen with the best of the vehicles. However when you have a wiring harness turn to shreds due to incorrect routing problems on more than one bike, it is an unforgivable error on the part of RE.
And I do not agree with people who suggest that this RE bike is very reliable (just because they happen to be lucky to have one) because the Indian forums are full of people complaining about various issues, such as brake pedal scraping the road during hard banking on the right (in some cases rider meeting with accidents) front fork covers, rear fenders being misaligned, sprang clutch going kaput, high speed instability and many other common issues. All this reflect the callous attitude of the engineers and "overburned hands" on the asembly line.

Few days back I wrote an email to Mr. Siddharth Lal the head of RE (not the CEO anymore) and this is what he replied.

"Siddhartha Lal said,                                                                     March  18, 2011
Thank you for your detailed thoughts. From a small company which was struggling to survive, we have now got to a position where we can invest in all sorts of areas. And we are doing so. In infrastructure, systems, experts for designing, validating, manufacturing, servicing our bikes. Through this and other means - we will continue to improve our products and service (and attitude!) till we become the absolute benchmark". 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 02:40:47 pm
Keep in mind, forums tend to be disproportionate.  Many if not most people are posting for help to solve a problem.  That doesn't mean all owners have problems.  Lots of owners have no serious problems and just never post.

Also, I've found for the DIY types like myself an online forum is the best source of information.

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:38 pm
Good point   .  Do we know what the approximate denominator is ?  Ie how many UCE machines are on the road in NA now?  Nigel

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 04:35:25 pm
Not enough :D

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 06:40:24 pm
.  Do we know what the approximate denominator is ?  Ie how many UCE machines are on the road in NA now?  Nigel

However when you have a wiring harness turn to shreds due to incorrect routing problems on more than one bike, it is an unforgivable error on the part of RE.

And I do not agree with people who suggest that this RE bike is very reliable (just because they happen to be lucky to have one) because the Indian forums are full of people complaining about various issues, such as brake pedal scraping the road during hard banking on the right (in some cases rider meeting with accidents) front fork covers, rear fenders being misaligned, sprang clutch going kaput, high speed instability and many other common issues.

All this reflect the callous attitude of the engineers and "overburned hands" on the asembly line.

@Nigel:

How many UCEs are on the roads in North America ?  In another thread it was guessed that the number may be in low hundreds, perhaps in the vicinity of 200 - 400 on the road. There would be a similar number of bikes on the floor of dealers - so the total number may be estimated in the range of 400 - 800 (unless CMW officially declares something different).

@Bradey and Nigel

RE has  higher than expected percentage of electrial/mechanical failures/issues. This figure can be determined from the number of mechanical and electrical failures/issues (posted in US and Indian websites) divided by total number of EFI motorcycles produced (which can be estimated with reasonable confidence from the production output) - then multiply this ratio by 100 to get % failure/issues.  

From what I have seen and read in various Forums in India and US , I agree with BRADEY that far too many bikes have shown issues.  If your RE has no issues, consider yourself lucky. One still needs to look at the total picture to implement procedures for improving the reliability of RE. Denying an issue or sweeping under the rug will not help RE.  Inspite of all that, I and others still buy it, ride i, wrench it and enjoy the grin on the face everytime we saddle on it  ;D.  With better reliability, more people can enjoy it.

To see total picture, you need to calculate % of all issue/failures from the total number of bikes produced or in use and duration of their use or miles accumulated. Then you can divide them into Types of Issues/Failures - e.g., mechanical vs. electrical.  One can also divide the data into geographic areas - India vs. US vs UK etc.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:52:58 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 07:23:40 pm
Nobody told me there would be MATH!! ???

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:42 pm
Nobody told me there would be MATH!! ???

You mean fractals and quadratic equations !  They will be next  ;D.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 10:28:27 pm
I will throw out a "me too" on having a shredded wiring harness that required a warranty repair. Fortunately for me it was just the rear left turn signal that stopped working.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:39 pm
uncle: thats not u..that a younger frank zappa....give me a break and the mother of inventions while u at it....great pic and just remember " with a garlic aroma that could level tacoma"..

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 02:15:05 am
Hardly seems relevant now, , "Uncle Ernie" but no , that doesn't look like an aerostitch suit (didn't know what they were called before, just that I didn't especially like them) , and I didn't mean to offend yor BMW sensibilities.  I was just thinking out loud.  And after all that has been said above, even though I know I can pick up a  reliable 650 S 40 for a song and fiddle with it to my hearts content until I get something that looks like a big single standard, I still would rather have an RE.  T'aint rational, but then , neither , I suppose , is riding on two wheels.    Great picture.  Magazine cover sometime ?  Nigel