Author Topic: 5000 miles in 6 months  (Read 5606 times)

raycopper

• Scooter
on: March 31, 2011, 04:46:50 pm
Hi,

Bike passed 5000 miles today, in almost exactly 6 months. Has been ridden most days, snow kept it off road for a couple of weeks in January. It has never been garaged, and only seldom covered. Has held up quite well. Problems include failed battery at 400 miles, replaced under warranty. Battery cover lock failed leading to loss of the cover, also replaced for free. Doesn't use a drop off oil between services. Has averaged 77 miles per imperial gallon, with best tankful of 90 mpg. Most important is the grin on my face hasn't disappeared. In process of planning trip down to the Pyrenees in June, can't wait

Ride Safe,

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:52:33 pm
These red bikes like to roll don't they? keep it in the wind.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:00:17 pm
Hi,

Bike passed 5000 miles today, in almost exactly 6 months. Has been ridden most days, snow kept it off road for a couple of weeks in January. It has never been garaged, and only seldom covered. Has held up quite well. Problems include failed battery at 400 miles, replaced under warranty. Battery cover lock failed leading to loss of the cover, also replaced for free. Doesn't use a drop off oil between services. Has averaged 77 miles per imperial gallon, with best tankful of 90 mpg. Most important is the grin on my face hasn't disappeared. In process of planning trip down to the Pyrenees in June, can't wait

@Ray:

Great looking bike with great performance and mileage !  The grin is there to stay even after 50,000 miles  ;D.  Best wishes.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:51:27 pm
Where are you Ray?   Are there aother RE riders there?  Thanks for your positive input:  The experience of riders like yourself is a major incentive to other prospective buyers with a new breand (or new to us anyway) establishing it't reputation.  Let us know how it handles in the mountains.    Is your bike stock?  Stock sprocket?  How do you find wind buffeting with passing trucks or crosswinds?   Thanks, Nigel .

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:02 pm
Thanks Ray   Looking forward to it.    I read  somewhere an interesting breakdown on the percentage frequency of REs amongst European motos based on licencing data in a few major representative European countries (Belgium and ?spain if imemory serves correctly) and they are still very rare ducks in the general moto population.  So not suprising you don't see many, even though their year over year sales increase in 30% plus.   I guess soon they will be commonplace and well have to bob or chop them to stand out from the crowd !    Nigel

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:47:23 pm
77 mpg? You must be thrashing it!  ;D

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:32:30 pm
Dropped down into the sixties over winter, think near 0 (32) temperatures on an 8 mile commute means rich running maybe? Reckon it'll be way up on long camping trip in June :)
2010 C5 - Red

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:22:21 am
Cold air is DENSE air  ;D
 The EFI enriched the mix to keep her from running lean  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:13:25 am
Dropped down into the sixties over winter, think near 0 (32) temperatures on an 8 mile commute means rich running maybe? Reckon it'll be way up on long camping trip in June :)

I was just joking with you! I dropped as low as 79mpg over winter from my normal average of 85 but I rarely do a journey that's less than 50 miles. As soon as you mentioned an 8 mile commute I could see what was happening - the engine's not reaching full operating temperature on the coldest days, plus, as Ice said, it will run richer with the cold air anyway.

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:00 am
Thought as much :) but you may be right! Have worn about eigth of the way through my rear brake pedal. Recken a couple of weeks of tight Pyrenean hairpins may do it lots of harm :)

Ray
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:28:48 am by raycopper »
2010 C5 - Red

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:39:50 am
Another thing of note... I'm not sure what the refineries do in the UK, but here in the states, winterized fuel is oxygenated which results in a drop in energy content.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 01:36:30 pm
Try using the gears and front brake more ---especially in the mountains, to spare the rear brake.  I would think that with the trochoidal oil pump, as long as the crank is moving you are oiling, so using te engine compression as a brake should be safe especiially since on the downhill stretches you are cooing but not generating engine heat.  A lot of rider seldom or never use the rear brake:  One place where you need it is in loose scree downhill as "drag" :  Other than that, the from is much more effective at stopping the machine so long as you don't lock it up  .  Nigel

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 01:41:35 pm
It scrapes without using it :) it's as close to the exhaust as it can get too
2010 C5 - Red

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 04:24:46 pm
It scrapes without using it :) it's as close to the exhaust as it can get too

Mine looks like that too. I suspect it is a byproduct of having once had the brake on the left side. Maybe it is their way of protecting your exhaust pipe  ;) I prefer folding footpegs touching before hard parts but unless you want to run a high pipe and rearsets, the only solution is to slow down :'( or hang off ;D

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 10:27:38 pm
My apologies.:  My earlier response suggesting sparing use of the  rear brake was because my brain read "break pad" while  you said pedal...   Strange how you see what you expect , not what is there.  Nigel