Author Topic: G5 Stranded - Broken Wire  (Read 5869 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 10:10:42 pm
Very informative and thank you for taking the trouble with the pics. I'm pleased it's all been resolved now; I'm sure it'll ride fine when you get the chance. Just wondering though: any idea why it broke in the first place?[/b]

I had a nice ride today on a beautiful 55F sunny day.  

Why the wire broke in the first place ?  The following are my observations on my G5. The wire coming out of neutral switch was bent at 90 degree and it was really taut, as if it was being pulled from the harness.  I think the pulling force and tight bend, where it attached to the switch, might have weakened it at the bend.  

Actually the wire was pretty long but it was folded at the other end, near the harness.  So one can take out the folds and loosen the wire if it is too tight.

I have redone some of the wiring and now the wire is not bending at 90 degree but is gently curved up.  Pictures below show the latest version.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:47:50 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 04:53:33 pm
Me too but a different wire. The one that feeds the whole electrical system.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:44 pm
I wonder if there could an "all electrics" topic area on the forum to collect all this infor in one place as a rider reference of likely problems/causes/fixes and pre-emptive fixes, but also as an eventual feedback to warranty central or the manufacturer in order to meke the necessary manufacturing spec mods to prevent the occurence of the more common problems ? Nigel