Author Topic: Seizing risks after break-in  (Read 3345 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 30, 2011, 02:30:33 pm
So according to my super factory manual I've completed my electra's break-in.  750 miles in a month and a half of freezing winter motorcycle ownership.  It's running great and the last fuel gallon i measured got me 71 miles.

Since the motor's pretty well polished and contracted/expanded/worn in, what is the risk of seizing the piston or other big no-no's that can happen?  I don't plan on ever flogging this bike, she seems to only want to go about 50-55 mph tops and I don't wanna force her much beyond that.  I only ask because on my commute, on the way back home there is this highwayish stretch where I need to hit 50 mph for about 6 miles after only five to ten minutes of local roads as a warm up.  Could this prove harmful?  Again, i'm still not riding it hard at that point, but i don't want the extra heat generated in such a short time to break my newly broken in bike.

thanks!

chuck

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:39 pm
  I'd say if you ride as responsibly in the future as the past you really shouldn't have any trouble.  I believe its more the iron barrel engines you have to worry about with seizing.  Haven't had any trouble from my wifes AVL yet and it has around 3k on it.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:03 pm
The two most dangerous times for any air-cooled motorcycle seizing a piston is riding it too hard on the throttle before the engine is up to temp, and also riding it too hard for what it can sustain before overheating.
The other big one is riding with a big throttle-opening up a hill at a low rpm, causing lugging or near-lugging. The big loads of the hill, needing the bigger throttle opening, along with the low road speeds that might not provide enough cooling air going past the engine, can add up to a seizure too.

Avoid doing those things, and you have greatly minimized the risks of rider-induced seizure.

If you also keep the bike well-tuned, not too lean, and not too far advanced, AND observe the previous recommendations, you probably will never seize a piston.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 04:22:53 pm
Thanks for the great info- another beginner question,  but what do you mean as 'not too far advanced'?  is this referring to an overly rich fuel/air mixture?

Also, can someone define an overheated engine?  Is it just piston seizure you have to be careful about?  What other things can this entail/how to know when it's too hot?  I still take breaks ever hour to take a piss and let the bike cool down to be sure, but it'd be good to know what to look out for.

Thanks again,

Chuck

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 04:25:00 pm
Sorry my friend, but your lump is not broken in yet.    At 1500 miles it will begin to get comfortable.  By 2500 miles you'll realize how not broken it it was after all.  When 3K rolls by, you'll be amazed (and even suspicious)  that it keeps getting smoother.  

Your bike is telling you what it wants, and will let you know when it wants to go faster.  Sounds dumb, but it's true.  If it was me -and it was- I'd keep a tight rein for a while longer.  It will pay off i nthe long run.
Run what ya brung

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 04:31:43 pm
Thanks for the great info- another beginner question,  but what do you mean as 'not too far advanced'?  is this referring to an overly rich fuel/air mixture?

Also, can someone define an overheated engine?  Is it just piston seizure you have to be careful about?  What other things can this entail/how to know when it's too hot?  I still take breaks ever hour to take a piss and let the bike cool down to be sure, but it'd be good to know what to look out for.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Wow. I must admit that peeing on your engine every hour to prevent over-heating is a level of deication I hadn't ever imagined.  I salute you sir!
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 04:40:46 pm
Thanks for the great info- another beginner question,  but what do you mean as 'not too far advanced'?  is this referring to an overly rich fuel/air mixture?

Also, can someone define an overheated engine?  Is it just piston seizure you have to be careful about?  What other things can this entail/how to know when it's too hot?  I still take breaks ever hour to take a piss and let the bike cool down to be sure, but it'd be good to know what to look out for.

Thanks again,

Chuck

With an Electra X, there really are no timing adjustments to do, so that shouldn't be an issue with your bike. Just make sure that you don't run the mixture excessively lean if you change the exhaust system that might need re-jetting of the carb.

As for overheating, I'd try to keep cylinder head temps under 265*F. If you can keep them lower than that, so much the better. You can check it with an IR thermometer petty easy when you stop.
Or you could run an oil temp gauge, and don't push the oil temps over about 220*F.

The piston is the main thing that will be an issue if you overheat. If it seizes, it will feel like you just put the brakes on hard. You have to pull in the clutch and turn the bike off, and coast to the side of the road. After it cools off, you might be able to get it started again, and be able to ride it home maybe, but it will need to come apart and be repaired if that happens.

I also agree with Ernie that the bike probably needs some more miles to be completely broken-in.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:42:48 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:09:11 pm
Cool, yes thanks for keeping me with it.  I feel a huge difference in the bike's performance compared to when it had 12 miles on it, but again it feels like it doesn't want me to push it any harder.  Was planning on just riding it as i have already.  Thanks for the specifics about temperature too, I'll look into getting a gauge soon.

And E, contrary to popular belief it's not the kickstarting that makes the ladies swoon, it's the steamed urinal aroma as the thumper passes by.

chuck

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:00 pm
  So is that why your exhaust has that yellowish sheen to it?  Nice... ;D ;D
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:32 am
Hey Superchuck, good job on working on that break in. I bought my " new used" iron barrel back in December with only 201 miles on it. The weather has been tough here in Chicago but has been semi decent the last month so now i have 461 miles ;D Its tough to do the break in especially by me but i have been taking my time and trying to ignore the A$$hole drivers and stick to the plan. At this point i can feel my bike loosening up a little and plan on doing another complete fluid change at 620 miles, supposedly the last break in point according to the manual. I will however cruise easy on it still until i get a couple thousand on her. So im thinking 45-50 should be plenty this whole season for the most part. I bought the bike knowing its limits though and have an 1854CC  beast of a cruiser for those highway and turn the hell out of throttle miles if needed with that bike haha. Im having tons of fun so far with the enfield though but it just gets frustrating with the ridiculous drivers around here sometimes. Its funny as i can be hauling pretty hard on my Yamaha Roadliner cruiser and still get passed or tailgated so its one those things i just have to deal with etc Thats the kicker though as i can really kick the $$$$ out of most vehicles out there with it haha. Anyway, good luck with your bike and break in. Just be patient and do it right. These bikes are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:06 am
i broke my iron in over the winter months...but i can see your point about trying to do it in chicgo traffic...good luck but the temps are perfect right now for that air cooled engine..
Oh Magoo you done it again

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 02:43:43 am
i broke my iron in over the winter months...but i can see your point about trying to do it in chicgo traffic...good luck but the temps are perfect right now for that air cooled engine..

Ya these people are complete idiots around here. Ill accelerate pretty good in first and before i even hit 2nd ill see em on my corner changing lanes already. Basically you can be a speed demon and someone will always want to go faster behind you. Thats why i love my Roadliner. You better have a fast car as my  Roadliner will flat out whip you if i feel like it haha.  Enfield is a different story lol. Good thing is the warmest i have ridden the enfield so far is 65, lowest at 30. Most of the miles have been in the 40's. I can do it no problem but at least the bike is happy in cooler temps. Great for break in

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 03:27:05 am
Rubber Chucky, I confess to in intrinsic lonliness.  Thanks for the tip!
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 02:34:17 pm
Well heard, yes I think the winter months are great for the break in as your fingers and jean-clad legs can't take much more than 40-50 mph winds rushing past anyway.  Looking forward to warmer temps, and I'm not a 'wheelies down the highway' kinda guy anyways-

greenie

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 03:44:52 am
waited for 4k before i put my speedo up to 70mph (for about 15 seconds) and was amazed how smooth it was. don't make a habit of this, but was just curious. normally run around 50-55mph. my '06 electra runs like a dream!
95 ural tourist w/ 98 motor (650)
06 electra

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 09:11:59 am
At about 1,500 miles I was forced to ride my AVL home on the main highway around here (65 MPH) as the side roads were closed off due to snow. 

I figured that 4 degrees F was as good a time as any to take my bike out on it's first high-speed run.  Made it 34 miles, with 4 miles to go, and the carb iced up.  Good thing that the last 6 miles of the trip are all on a steep downhill grade, eh?  Also a good thing that the roads were bone-dry.  I think a sheriff followed me for around 10 miles of it, all I remember is him passing me as I was putting along at 65 but I have no clue how long exactly he was behind me as both of my mirrors were frozen opaque.

At four degrees I didn't think I would have any problems with seizing, even at only 1,500 miles. 

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 04:22:00 pm
winter is a great time to break in..I would think a bit more forgiving if u lost your head and gave it a good flog... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again