Author Topic: Head pipe rattling loud  (Read 8500 times)

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
on: March 28, 2011, 07:46:53 pm
Today I went to ride the G5 and noticed a loud vibrating rattle when the engine was revved. It is coming from the right side. I first thought it was something in the right side cover. Then I traced it to the exhaust, thought maybe the muffler. I took off the muffler and it didn't rattle. I then hit the head pipe and it rattled a lot. It sounded like there was something metal in the pipe bouncing around. It seems like it is coming from the bottom horizontal part of the pipe or at the bend. I looked inside the head pipe and there is an inner pipe on the horizontal section near the bend. I think the weld is broken loose and the two pipes are rattling against each other. Its really load and annoying! This seems like it would be a warranty issue? My warranty is up in May. Anybody else experienced this rattling head pipe?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:41 pm
Sounds like a warranty issue to me, I hope it's easy to take care of.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:48:43 pm
Check the heat shield.  It should be attached to the head pipe with a little clip where it comes close to the foot peg.  If you can lift it away from the pipe with moderate pressure either the clip on the pipe, the shield, or both may have broken.

This happened to me and it was amazingly loud and annoying.  And yes, it's a warranty issue.  My dealer got me a new shield lickety split.

Scott

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:17:35 pm
Check the heat shield.  It should be attached to the head pipe with a little clip where it comes close to the foot peg.  If you can lift it away from the pipe with moderate pressure either the clip on the pipe, the shield, or both may have broken.

This happened to me and it was amazingly loud and annoying.  And yes, it's a warranty issue.  My dealer got me a new shield lickety split.

Scott
I don't have the stock muffler and heat shield. I have one similar to the EFI silencer. I removed the heat shield, still had rattle. I removed the silencer, still had rattle. With only head pipe left I can hit head pipe with hand and can hear rattle from bottom of head pipe. Here is a video of it by a bad cameraman :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGoFg5HiLHs
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:22:02 pm by Chris-G5 »

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:37:40 pm
Hitting the brake lever? Couldn't tell from the video.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:31:13 pm
Hitting the brake lever? Couldn't tell from the video.
No, its close but not rattling against brake lever.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 10:35:45 pm
catalytic converter,,,call epa..
Oh Magoo you done it again

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:22:32 pm
I had the same issue. The head pipe has an insert that comes loose. Mine did. I just got it replaced under warranty. Call ScooterBob. He knows allll abbooouutt iiittt.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:44 am
I had the same issue. The head pipe has an insert that comes loose. Mine did. I just got it replaced under warranty. Call ScooterBob. He knows allll abbooouutt iiittt.
Thanks, good to know it is a known about issue. I thought I was the only one with bad luck! :D

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:52:04 am
Hold on here, my Bullet developed an intense BUZZZZZZZOOOOOOMMMMM  :o when I was shifting up at high revs. I have looked eveywhere seriously and can't figure it out. I'll have to try this out and see!

Did you check by simply tapping your header pipe?

Would this require a whole new header to be installed in order to fix?

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:46 am
like r80rt tried to tell you, call the dealer for them to
check it out.
it's fun to work on things and do maintenance,
but you have a warranty for problems like this.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:55:43 am
like r80rt tried to tell you, call the dealer for them to
check it out.
it's fun to work on things and do maintenance,
but you have a warranty for problems like this.

I have contacted the dealer and he is going to check with CMW on the warranty. The dealer is a couple hours away, so it's not the easiest to just take it to them. I have to take it to them on another minor issue, so i am trying to coordinate it so both issues can be addressed at once.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:05:19 am
Hold on here, my Bullet developed an intense BUZZZZZZZOOOOOOMMMMM  :o when I was shifting up at high revs. I have looked eveywhere seriously and can't figure it out. I'll have to try this out and see!

Did you check by simply tapping your header pipe?

Would this require a whole new header to be installed in order to fix?

-Jake

While revving the engine you can use a piece of tubing to listen for the rattle. Place the tube on the head pipe just after the lower bend. Or as I did in the end to confirm it, I took off heat shield and muffler just leaving the head pipe. You can then just bang on the head pipe while the engine is off to hear the rattle. I believe jjoe256 meant they replaced the head pipe all together.

P.S.
By the way the engine sounds pretty good with just the head pipe, not as loud as I thought it would be. I actually took it for a ride to town and back and rode past a cop taking radar. Just went easy on the throttle as I went past him.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:06 pm
Found out today the head pipe will be covered under warranty. Unfortunately CMW doesn't have any and has to get them shipped in from RE India.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 10:49:18 pm
Glad to know they are going to take care of you.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association