Author Topic: transmission issue  (Read 1099 times)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
on: March 28, 2011, 05:51:38 pm
I am going through my transmission as part of my Fireball build and I notice that the large gear that rides against the large countershaft bearing races has been running up against the transmission housing, not a lot but enough to make glitter in my transmission fluid. There is no thrust washer here to space the gear away from the bearing, nor is there one shown in the parts diagrams so I assume that my cases were machined a little too deep. I am thinking the best way to correct this is to either install a thrust washer/shim between the bearing and gear or to  shim out the bearing either by dimpling the vertical seating surface of the case that the bearing seats against with a centerpunch or by installing an actual shim between the case and the bearing. Any thoughts? anyone come across this before?

Thanks,
Roger

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:04 pm
I would just shim it  if there's a lot of end play or run out.  Easier and less permanent than messing with the case. If the problem is not enough end play then a shim might  bind it. Automotive rear end shims for a 3rd member would be nice and thin but finding the right diameters may be a problem.
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:33:47 pm
Thanks, I did shim it using some gasket material. I trial fit the cover without a gasket and it sat flush so with the gasket under the cover there will certainly be no issue of having too little clearance inside. The bearing sat just proud of it's recess so there is no way way the gear can contact the housing anymore. Actually anywhere it would have contacted had been pretty well ground down but at least if I see more fairy dust in my trans oil I will know where it didn't come from...

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:55:45 am
Nice!. I didn't think of that. Must have been too  obvious. HAHAHAA  good job.
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:52:20 am
I would have done what you have done, and hit the contact area with a Dremel, just in case.  Good job!  I like to read about successes.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:33:07 am
Small success, now I am waiting(3-4 weeks Ouch) for headstuds and nuts to get to run this thing. I had bought the set for 2002 and up only to find that my block(which was purchased as a replacemnet set of cases for the '02 was threaded for the pre '02 set, interestingly enough the studs for the primary cover were threaded metric which would be right for '02 and newer I think. Maybe these cases were done mid change or for the domestic market? Sooner or later I will get it all done, this proves the importance of having 2 bikes as i am not missing any nice riding days.....