Author Topic: Battery cable  (Read 2164 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:34 pm
As some of you know, my battery (+) cable broke at the terminal. Al from Fresno has ordered another. While I wait I wondered if a cable from another bike might substitute. Today I pulled it out. To my amazement, the cable is molded into the solenoid! I suppose that makes it more reliable, being waterproof and all but it does mean the solenoid must be replaced with the cable. The rain stopped a few minutes ago and I want to ride!

Anyone know the best source for a new terminal ring? Looks too big for Radio Shack. Auto parts store? Thanks

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:00:10 am
Al here. my work PC went feet up yesterday and im flying blind here.
i had them overnight the cable to me thursday and its just the cable they sent. they did say one termiinal was different, they didnt say it was the one moulded into the relay. ouch.
yea, get to kragen or napa and get a terminal from the electrical section and make it work.
you know i'll take care of you for your troubles. 
when i get the right thing from RE, ill get you the right deal-eo.
sorry,
big al :-[
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 05:52:32 am
Put on the terminal but it is nowhere near as sturdy as the original. At least I can ride for a while. Going to the Clubman British show and swap in San Jose in the morning.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 03:07:36 pm
That's it.  I'm moving to Fresno.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 05:24:49 pm
In a related matter, The battery has no vent tube. Shouldn't it? The caps are connected by one long strip of plastic and the electrolyte level is visible through the side. I don't think it is a "sealed" battery but it could be. Any ideas?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:13:36 pm
In a related matter, The battery has no vent tube. Shouldn't it? The caps are connected by one long strip of plastic and the electrolyte level is visible through the side. I don't think it is a "sealed" battery but it could be. Any ideas?

If you have EXIDE battery that comes with RE from India, it is NOT sealed - only covered.  The strip that covers the holes is not air tight or fully water-tight.  The liquid in the battery can seep out if the battery is tilted or with bumpy ride.  The acid / electrolytes can damage the paint on the metal frame.  I replaced that battery with a maintenance-free sealed Yuasa battery - which is truely sealed.  

As far as vent is concerned, you can take off the strip when charging the battery with an electric charger.  But the amount of gas produced if any is so small and the seal is not air tight in the first place, I don't think it makes much difference.  But I would recommend taking the precautionary step - Better safe than sorry.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:02:56 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:29 am
yes, the battery in the bike has no traditional vent tube.
we asked about that during ScooterBob University and like he said,
they are a surprisingly good battery. it is similar to say a Miata
trunk mounted battery, not truly sealed but vented in such a
way where leakage is nil.
neither of our demos has had any issues with gasses causing
problems to date.
when we get the unitized cable/relay I'll ask our battery supplier for
a ahem, "sample" MotoBatt batt. for you to evaluate.
hang in there.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT