Author Topic: Sealed beam vs. non-sealed beam?  (Read 21872 times)

deejay

on: July 18, 2007, 07:27:36 pm
can anyone explain the difference to me? I'm thinking of ordering the 7" headlight kit, but not sure about this beam business.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:31:03 pm by deejay »

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:51:25 pm
We have the 7" sealed beam on the Military, and it is much, much brighter than the stock light, and looks way better, too.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:02:45 pm
Non-sealed beams have a separate headlight assembly that takes a little bulb in the back of the reflector. Sealed beams are one big bulb; reflector, lens and all. I've heard that the non-sealed beams are more prone to failure due to vibration; don't know if it's true. I installed a 7" sealed-beam Wagner, and the difference is astounding; like I'd been riding around with a flashlight taped to my handlebars. I work a 3rd shift, so light's real important to me.

As Robb said, it looks way better than the goofy stock lamp, too.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:41:54 pm
Could you post a picture... I am thinking of doing the same - a picture may well tip the balance.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:02:03 pm
If you don't have a 7", then you already know what the OEM lamp looks like. Here's mine with a 7" sealed beam:

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:20:29 pm
My Bullet is parked right outside the window in front of my desk...  As I type this I am looking at the OEM light, then yours.. etc.  I think I need to get the 7" system on mine.  Herein is the question - is it easy to do??  I am somewhat of a clutz.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:48 pm
Emmet,

You really do live in Margaritaville! Every picture you post shows your bike in front of a gorgeous tropical scene... like a Royal Enfield Corona commercial.  It's hard not to be envious.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:47:11 pm
Emmet, I love those panniers.  I wish I could get those in the UK!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 12:09:42 am
I hope this is a before and after picture of my recent 7" conversion.  I'm a little shakey on the tools.........Leonard

Could you post a picture... I am thinking of doing the same - a picture may well tip the balance.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:07:39 am
I hope this is a before and after picture of my recent 7" conversion.  I'm a little shakey on the tools.........Leonard

Well, there is obvisouly something I don't understand about inserting a picture........Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 02:10:47 am
is it easy to do??

Sort of. There's a big flat screw on top of the cascabel (or whatever it's called), and two small phillips-head screws at 4 and 8 o'clock. Remove the entire headlight unit. You have to mount the bulb in the headlight ring, which is done with spring clips; wear eye protection. Use a quarter or something to pry the legs down under the lip, as in the picture. Then it's just a matter of wiring it and mounting it in the cascabel.

deejay

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 02:25:09 am
Non-sealed beams have a separate headlight assembly that takes a little bulb in the back of the reflector. Sealed beams are one big bulb; reflector, lens and all. I've heard that the non-sealed beams are more prone to failure due to vibration; don't know if it's true. I installed a 7" sealed-beam Wagner, and the difference is astounding; like I'd been riding around with a flashlight taped to my handlebars. I work a 3rd shift, so light's real important to me.

As Robb said, it looks way better than the goofy stock lamp, too.

So, if the bulb burns out on a sealed beam you have to replace the entire unit? i think I'd rather just replace a bulb.... maybe I'm confused. ???

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:35:51 am
The sealed beam is the bulb - you can get a 7 inch one at Walmart.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 09:28:00 am
Emmet, I love those panniers.  I wish I could get those in the UK!

Tom

It's OK - I've found them.....  in our hosts' accessories section!

Tom
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:55:43 am by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 11:13:07 am
It's OK - I've found them.....  in our hosts' accessories section!

Yes; all the after-market stuff on my bike's come from them.