Author Topic: Sealed beam vs. non-sealed beam?  (Read 21876 times)

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 02:52:28 am
 I installed a small  non-sealed beam from Candlepower in mine. It went right in where the factory flashlight was and the light output is impressive (compared to stock). I can tell no difference from the light output on my BMW with a 7" h-4 bulb. Definately a good option for those who don't want to go with the 7" light.

FiferWD

• Scooter
  • Happiness is a warm Bullet
Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 03:30:19 pm
Nice! Don't do as I do, Do as I say!

I'm afraid that you caught me there, and I deserved it!
Apparently, the tri-bar is acceptable, but the mount is not because of the lack of adjustment.  But I have to say that I feel a whole lot safer with this lighting.  I can see deer a lot sooner, can pick out the potholes a lot easier, and in the past two years I have never had motorist's flick their high beams on and off at me.

By the way, when you hook these up, test carefully to make sure that you have the right wires on the right terminals.  You can get some really poor results if you have them mixed up.  Once you are happy, make a note of which colour goes where for future reference.  I found that the lamp would work with any of the 6 possible combinations, but there was a huge difference between right and wrong.
Yrs,
Bill

gapl53

Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 04:19:01 pm

That's OK, I worked at the county government sector for 21+ years, I couldn't resist.
Nice! Don't do as I do, Do as I say!

I'm afraid that you caught me there, and I deserved it!
Apparently, the tri-bar is acceptable, but the mount is not because of the lack of adjustment.  But I have to say that I feel a whole lot safer with this lighting.  I can see deer a lot sooner, can pick out the potholes a lot easier, and in the past two years I have never had motorist's flick their high beams on and off at me.

By the way, when you hook these up, test carefully to make sure that you have the right wires on the right terminals.  You can get some really poor results if you have them mixed up.  Once you are happy, make a note of which colour goes where for future reference.  I found that the lamp would work with any of the 6 possible combinations, but there was a huge difference between right and wrong.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 09:31:09 pm
Never mind that the origianl naucelle was built for correct headlight aim to begine with
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gapl53

Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 04:39:10 pm
That's good to know. I do like the bigger headlight look and I could use the extra luxes.
Besides the dark roads and the deer we have a lot of unmarked curves many at right angles. Not to mention the other night while cruising home I came around one of those blind curves and lo and behold there was a large Black Bear sitting in the middle of my lane. It was looking back over his shoulder probably wondering what that thumping noise was approaching him. I can tell you from first hand experience that a Black Bear, a dark asphalt road, and not enough candles in front of you is very exciting. We missed each other in the resulting scramble as we both tried to get out of each others way. It was a big bear, maybe 400lbs or so I think that If i would have hit him I would just made him mad and after dusting himself off he would have thumped me good.
Another night in the Northland, when the locals come out to play.