Author Topic: Sealed beam vs. non-sealed beam?  (Read 21884 times)

deejay

on: July 18, 2007, 07:27:36 pm
can anyone explain the difference to me? I'm thinking of ordering the 7" headlight kit, but not sure about this beam business.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:31:03 pm by deejay »

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:51:25 pm
We have the 7" sealed beam on the Military, and it is much, much brighter than the stock light, and looks way better, too.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:02:45 pm
Non-sealed beams have a separate headlight assembly that takes a little bulb in the back of the reflector. Sealed beams are one big bulb; reflector, lens and all. I've heard that the non-sealed beams are more prone to failure due to vibration; don't know if it's true. I installed a 7" sealed-beam Wagner, and the difference is astounding; like I'd been riding around with a flashlight taped to my handlebars. I work a 3rd shift, so light's real important to me.

As Robb said, it looks way better than the goofy stock lamp, too.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:41:54 pm
Could you post a picture... I am thinking of doing the same - a picture may well tip the balance.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:02:03 pm
If you don't have a 7", then you already know what the OEM lamp looks like. Here's mine with a 7" sealed beam:

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:20:29 pm
My Bullet is parked right outside the window in front of my desk...  As I type this I am looking at the OEM light, then yours.. etc.  I think I need to get the 7" system on mine.  Herein is the question - is it easy to do??  I am somewhat of a clutz.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:48 pm
Emmet,

You really do live in Margaritaville! Every picture you post shows your bike in front of a gorgeous tropical scene... like a Royal Enfield Corona commercial.  It's hard not to be envious.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:47:11 pm
Emmet, I love those panniers.  I wish I could get those in the UK!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 12:09:42 am
I hope this is a before and after picture of my recent 7" conversion.  I'm a little shakey on the tools.........Leonard

Could you post a picture... I am thinking of doing the same - a picture may well tip the balance.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:07:39 am
I hope this is a before and after picture of my recent 7" conversion.  I'm a little shakey on the tools.........Leonard

Well, there is obvisouly something I don't understand about inserting a picture........Leonard

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 02:10:47 am
is it easy to do??

Sort of. There's a big flat screw on top of the cascabel (or whatever it's called), and two small phillips-head screws at 4 and 8 o'clock. Remove the entire headlight unit. You have to mount the bulb in the headlight ring, which is done with spring clips; wear eye protection. Use a quarter or something to pry the legs down under the lip, as in the picture. Then it's just a matter of wiring it and mounting it in the cascabel.

deejay

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 02:25:09 am
Non-sealed beams have a separate headlight assembly that takes a little bulb in the back of the reflector. Sealed beams are one big bulb; reflector, lens and all. I've heard that the non-sealed beams are more prone to failure due to vibration; don't know if it's true. I installed a 7" sealed-beam Wagner, and the difference is astounding; like I'd been riding around with a flashlight taped to my handlebars. I work a 3rd shift, so light's real important to me.

As Robb said, it looks way better than the goofy stock lamp, too.

So, if the bulb burns out on a sealed beam you have to replace the entire unit? i think I'd rather just replace a bulb.... maybe I'm confused. ???

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:35:51 am
The sealed beam is the bulb - you can get a 7 inch one at Walmart.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 09:28:00 am

Tom

It's OK - I've found them.....  in our hosts' accessories section!

Tom
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:55:43 am by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 11:13:07 am

Yes; all the after-market stuff on my bike's come from them.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 03:20:43 pm
The sealed beam variety are ususally of a higher wattage than the single bulb type. the single bulb type are more period correct so the choice is yours. If you buy on  from Wal-Mart etc, be sure it is s motorcycle bulg as they are different internally. An auto bulb will owrk, but the aim internally is different.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 05:59:15 pm

Well, there is obviously something I don't understand about inserting a picture........Leonard

I am nothing if not persistant.  Here, thanks to Rhett's help is the picture I wanted to post.  Hope it isn't too late to help out........Leonard

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:09:43 pm by Leonard »

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 06:43:45 pm
Leonard-  I would like more light at night as well but I really like the retro look of the chrome ring on the 5 inch light. I have converted to the 5 inch Halogen for more light, it is just barely enuff light to live with.
- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

wordherder62

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:37 am
Actually, the chrome ring on the five-inch light is not retro. It's there for the adjusters that the DOT requires. Real retro look is without the funky inner chrome ring. As I slide toward buying one of these things, I think the first change to make is the seven-inch light kit!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:25:14 pm by wordherder62 »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 04:07:17 am
I am leaning very much towards getting the 7 inch.. probably in a day or two.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

bikeniterider

Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 04:25:45 pm
A sealed beam bulb is one that is the entire glass assembly in one piece. The lighting filament is an integral part of the glass enclosure. The other and older type is three pieces. The glass enclosure, a removable bulb socket and a removeable bulb

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:35 am
Hmm, there is one, uhh, glaring ( he he, I said glaring, in a headlight thread) point to make. A sealed beam is cool, but, it's hard to haul a spare & IF it dies, well, it's the only eyeball ya have. If I was gonna mod something & I used the light much, I might consider sticking a light on I could fix on the side of the road. I dunno if its a big enough deal to worry about, but, just tossed it out, food for thought. I can haul one of those little halogen lightbulbs in lots of little places. I suppose a guy wouls need a trouble light to work on the headlight. Maybe we need support vehicles following us?
Now, someone should ask me when was the last time I had a headlight go out. Man, been years. I cant remember seeing a full sized headlamp out on a bike, but I have seen some on crotch rockets, the little ones on each side of the fairing, I see one side out a lot, maybe its supposed to be that way? So, which way suits ya? I dont know what I will do, I havent got mine yet.

FiferWD

• Scooter
  • Happiness is a warm Bullet
Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 07:18:54 pm

Tom

Tom

Tom, I found a great way to hang these things.  I took off the straps and replaced them with two boat hook hangers riveted through strong leather pockets that I stitched on.  A shock cord secures them to my luggage rack or the curvy thingies that support the mudguard.  I plan to put a handle on top of each, and,  Voila -  a quick detatchable saddlebag/attache case.  I work in a high crime area, and I like to keep what is mine.
Yrs,
Bill

prof_stack

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 08:29:11 pm
Hmm, there is one, uhh, glaring ( he he, I said glaring, in a headlight thread) point to make. A sealed beam is cool, but, it's hard to haul a spare & IF it dies, well, it's the only eyeball ya have. If I was gonna mod something & I used the light much, I might consider sticking a light on I could fix on the side of the road.
My experience is that when the bulb goes out, you still have high-beam (or low-beam if you use high-beams for safety) to use.  That should give you plenty of miles to get another sealed beam to put in. 

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 08:49:41 pm
Doooh! Right you are,, I do like the look of the 7" on it.

deejay

Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 09:48:54 pm
ordered my sealed beam today, along with other goodies

x-mas in august ;D

gapl53

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 04:46:43 pm
Actually, the chrome ring on the five-inch light is not retro. It's there for the adjusters that the DOT requires. Real retro look is without the funky inner chrome ring. As I slide toward buying one of these things, I think the first change to make is the seven-inch light kit!
Just for information;
If I'm interpreting the picture in the catalog correct, you loss the adjustment with the 7 inch conversion kit. That's why they are not DOT approved. I have never met a motorcycle headlight that I haven't had to adjust. This is weather straight from the factory or after replacement of the bulb.  That's why I haven't converted mine, even though I like the look and would like some more candles to see with.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:50:46 pm by gapl53 »

gapl53

Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 04:47:56 pm
Just for information;
If I'm interpreting the picture in the catalog correct, you loss the adjustment with the 7 inch conversion kit. That's why they are not DOT approved. I have never met a motorcycle headlight that I haven't had to adjust. This is weather straight from the factory or after replacement of the bulb.  That's why I haven't converted mine, even though I like the look and would like some more candles to see with.

OOPS!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:51:40 pm by gapl53 »

FiferWD

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 06:04:04 pm
Just for information;

I replaced mine early on with the 7" TriBar.  It made a huge difference, and the pattern on my garage wall was not unlike the original.  It washes the street more, and also has a wider beam, but elevation and windage are in the ballpark.

I did find that the lamp housing is very deep, even with the adaptor ring.  I had to bend the terminals out and move wiring around quite a bit to get it to close properly.  Once the pressure from the wiring harness ejected the bulb housing at about 60 mph on a highway.  The wind held it in place until I stopped on the shoulder, where the whole assembly bounced twice as it left the nacelle and struck the pavement.  Amazingly, it did not even crack!  I have since made a little bend in the rim and filed a notch in the retainer that makes it far more secure.  I don't park my bike in the garage here at USDOT's Office of Vehicle Safety Research,  though.

;)
Yrs,
Bill

gapl53

Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 05:02:35 pm
Nice! Don't do as I do, Do as I say!

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 02:52:28 am
 I installed a small  non-sealed beam from Candlepower in mine. It went right in where the factory flashlight was and the light output is impressive (compared to stock). I can tell no difference from the light output on my BMW with a 7" h-4 bulb. Definately a good option for those who don't want to go with the 7" light.

FiferWD

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 03:30:19 pm

I'm afraid that you caught me there, and I deserved it!
Apparently, the tri-bar is acceptable, but the mount is not because of the lack of adjustment.  But I have to say that I feel a whole lot safer with this lighting.  I can see deer a lot sooner, can pick out the potholes a lot easier, and in the past two years I have never had motorist's flick their high beams on and off at me.

By the way, when you hook these up, test carefully to make sure that you have the right wires on the right terminals.  You can get some really poor results if you have them mixed up.  Once you are happy, make a note of which colour goes where for future reference.  I found that the lamp would work with any of the 6 possible combinations, but there was a huge difference between right and wrong.
Yrs,
Bill

gapl53

Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 04:19:01 pm

That's OK, I worked at the county government sector for 21+ years, I couldn't resist.

I'm afraid that you caught me there, and I deserved it!
Apparently, the tri-bar is acceptable, but the mount is not because of the lack of adjustment.  But I have to say that I feel a whole lot safer with this lighting.  I can see deer a lot sooner, can pick out the potholes a lot easier, and in the past two years I have never had motorist's flick their high beams on and off at me.

By the way, when you hook these up, test carefully to make sure that you have the right wires on the right terminals.  You can get some really poor results if you have them mixed up.  Once you are happy, make a note of which colour goes where for future reference.  I found that the lamp would work with any of the 6 possible combinations, but there was a huge difference between right and wrong.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 09:31:09 pm
Never mind that the origianl naucelle was built for correct headlight aim to begine with
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gapl53

Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 04:39:10 pm
That's good to know. I do like the bigger headlight look and I could use the extra luxes.
Besides the dark roads and the deer we have a lot of unmarked curves many at right angles. Not to mention the other night while cruising home I came around one of those blind curves and lo and behold there was a large Black Bear sitting in the middle of my lane. It was looking back over his shoulder probably wondering what that thumping noise was approaching him. I can tell you from first hand experience that a Black Bear, a dark asphalt road, and not enough candles in front of you is very exciting. We missed each other in the resulting scramble as we both tried to get out of each others way. It was a big bear, maybe 400lbs or so I think that If i would have hit him I would just made him mad and after dusting himself off he would have thumped me good.
Another night in the Northland, when the locals come out to play.