Author Topic: Unrestricted exhaust.  (Read 9842 times)

2bikes

• Scooter
on: February 08, 2008, 11:12:49 pm
Has anyone fitted the unrestricted exhaust pipe (or removed the 'hot tube' restriction from the o.e. pipe) on an Electra fitted with the Watsonian Squire 'Highway Kit ' with the Dell'orto carburettor?  I am contemplating fitting the fre-flowing exhaust pipe, but would like to know if anyone has done this mod, and what carb adjustments or re-jetting they had to do.

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:22:01 am
dosen't the Watsonian kit come with a 'Free flow" exhaust system?  As such, I would imagine the includde Dell O'rto carb would be supplied with the correct jetting?  I must say it sounds like an ideal answer to the" Fruitloops" in the suits, as a way to get your bike to run properly and not overheat etc.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:06:48 pm
I installed the CMW version on my Electra. It came with a free-flow pipe, short silencer, and flat-slide carb. It works great. The carb was jetted way too rich, but we put it on the dyno at my dealers and dialed it in.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 06:37:26 pm
2bikes,

I found the full Watsonian kit as supplied (shorty silencer, less restrictive air filter,  Dellorto carb ) mimicked the standard lean burn settings, but with a 32mm carb instead of the standard 29mm one. A slightly larger main jet is required for any variation in the standard down tube or shorty exhaust system.

With a totally unrestricted exhaust system, I use a 130 main jet and have the needle clip one slot lower than standard.

Ric

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:50:52 pm
I have an unrestricted exhaust. It's the exhaust header and Goldy-style muffler from Hitchcock's. The muffler came with a bolt-in baffle which I am not using. It was part of a performance upgrade package that included and Amal carb.

More info can be found by following the link in my signature and clicking on Perfomance Upgrade.

Matt

prof_stack

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 01:16:26 am
Matt, how loud is your bike's exhaust without the baffle?  Street legal?  Is it hard on the ears after riding for awhile?

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:14:07 am
I drilled the baffle out of my short muffler and it still isnt that loud. I could probably run an open pipe and get away with it. Down here in NW Florida, it's harley country, along with a number of one-off customs. Even with mufflers, they are still louder than mine.

LJRead

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 06:56:44 am

Today I bought a "British shorty muffler" thinking that, at twelve inches long, it will be easy to mail.  I can't for the life of me figure why, after all these years, the stock bikes are coming out with such a huge muffler.  Makes for a good after-sales market.  I figure it will end just past the rear foot peg, far enough back I hope.  It was only 26 bucks so I'm not out much if it doesn't work out.  The photo of it looked pretty nice.

So, using the resources of internet, my total outlay for an open system - K & N filter, Mikuni main jet, and less restrictive muffler will be about fifty-two bucks plus about that in total postage.  Think my old Scottish ancestors would be happy, maybe more so if I could just wake them up from the dead!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 04:49:22 pm
Those are great prices. I wish I was getting stuff that cheap.

2bikes

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 05:30:37 pm
Ric

Thanks for the info re 130 jet size.  was not sure which to go for above standard 120.

2bikes

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 05:37:16 pm
Scooter

The Watsonian kit does not replace the front section of the exhaust which has the restrictor in, only the silencer (muffler) with a shorty one.  Rumour has it that you can gain a little bit extra by fitting the unrestricted fron section.

2 Bikes.

DaveG

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 10:51:12 pm
I decided to fit  a swept back exhaust and goldstar type ”loudener“ last year. At first, I just fitted the straight through swept back exhaust pipe with the original, long, heavy silencer. There was a very noticeable increase in urge, but the sound wasn't right. The original exhaust pipe had a narrow tube down the middle, but the swept back was just a wide open tube.
Later, I fitted the goldie ”loudener“ to the swept back. The urge was about the same, but the sound was a superb 'thump thump'.
I have to admit that I've now fitted the supplied removable baffle into my goldie ”loudener“ as it was just too loud for the very narrow streets around here in North Lincolnshire, UK. The echoing thump may be excellent to our ears, but a few locals were getting upset. As it is, they know I'm coming when I'm miles away.
73 de Dave G7NCB from the Isle of Axholme UK (MacPro and OSX.4.11) and 05 Electra X

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 03:07:21 pm
Matt, how loud is your bike's exhaust without the baffle?  Street legal?  Is it hard on the ears after riding for awhile?

It sounds like a 'tinny' version of a Conti on a Ducati. Not too loud. There's no sound level restrictions (that I'm aware of) in my neck of the woods. Even if there were, the bike can be driven gently to render it relatively quiet.

Matt

Adrian

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 09:48:13 pm
Thumper,

you have enough wide open spaces over there to get away with more noise!

Dave,

I sympathise.

My Electra has at different times had the Watsonian muffler (with both restricted and unrestricted down pipes), the Hichcock Goldie loudener with baffle, (you just can't run it without one here) and a genuine RE factory shorty on the Woodsman pipe. The Goldie has an intrusive bellow to the noise that I get fed up with every now and again. I prefer the bark of the short factory item and may buy another to use with the low-level pipe.

As I asked earlier, has anyone here tried a Super Trapp universal on the Bullet?

Regards,

Adrian

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:15:54 pm
thanks for that follow up Adrian.. I was thinking of the goldstar.. now I'm not.. having always had quiet mufflers I would probably scare myself when it started.

Ihe super trap would look interesting.. I might have to consider that also ..