Author Topic: Keeping the tank pristine  (Read 3085 times)

Kiwichick

• Scooter
on: February 08, 2008, 08:42:51 pm
Hi guys

My Electra tank is the wonderful plain jet black, with raised gold lettering.

It is getting replaced with a new one because the one that came with the bike had a pretty bad 'orange peel' paint job down one side.

Anyway, I noticed the tank I'm giving back has started showing signs of swirling, very fine scratches, from being wiped and polished.  I do take care to use a soft cloth, but even still I can see it getting slowly marked.

Is there anything I can do the the new tank, like a coating, that you think will stop the tank getting those fine scratches?

Thanks
Biddy

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:20:05 pm
In my experience, anything with a high gloss or clear coat will show fine swirling after awhile.  Whether it be a car or motorcycle.

I'd stay away from combination wax/cleaners that contains micro abrasive.  An auto parts store should have clear coat specific wax.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:40:39 pm
Leave it unpolished for six months to allow the finish to truly harden,then only use a microfibre cloth after cleaning it with copious amounts of water to remove any surface grit.
Or change over to silver which wont show the scratches as much  ;D
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:41:31 pm
NEVER, EVER polish a black tank or car in circular motions. You have to do this job (once the paint is hard) in straight lines as you will always get small scratches from tiny bits of dust. Straight lines polishing reduces this effect. Follow the normal flowing lines of the tank. Circular polishing (ie. our normal way of cleaning) accentuates the microscopic scratch marks as they catch the light differently!
Why I will NEVER have a black car/bike etc. They only really look fantastically good once; in the showroom!!!! Just my opinion OK?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin