Author Topic: TO CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE: THAT IS THE QUESTION, etc,etc,etc !  (Read 3984 times)

Billy B.

• Scooter
   Okay, am on the 3rd year of owning my 08 Iron Deluxe. Have about 4500miles on the odometer. Been everything that I expected with the exception of one issue.
    Have had no issues with the motorcycle as it came from the dealership. Bike has ran very well with no unusual problems that i am occasionally seeing posted on this site. My only concern is that the bike runs very hot. Mostly from the PAV system
My question, is it worth the expense and time involved to replace the exhaust with an aftermarket? Will this extend the life of my engine and allow for a lower operating temp? I am satisfied with the power, but could stand a little better torque.
 This  bike runs so much hotter than my Iron headed 1976 XLH 1000 with much higher compression and horsepower.
  I would like to hear from anyone that has made this exchange. I like to fettle about with a motor as it needs. however i am not one to constantly mess with adjustments and tweeking. Just want a reliable mount for transport and the occasional trip.
   Thanks in advance for any insight that anyone could give me with this issue.  .

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
  Enfields tend to run lean straight from the factory which helps them run hot.  For around $400 bucks you can do a very good job of opening it up.  Not really much to rejetting a carb after intake and exhaust mods.  And the performance increase is amazing.  Not that you are bolting on horses, just allowing it to breathe better.  Of course you will probably lose some mpgs.  And in theory running these rich is way better than running them lean.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
I think it will be well worth it but might take a little effort in the beginning to get it set up. Not much but a little ya know. I know most carbed bikes are choked up from the start but it seems the enfields are REALLY bad. That makes it worse considering its an old school motor that hates heat so its best to open her up and let it run cooler and more free. Its amazing what an intake/exhaust combo will do with good jetting. Basically you are setting your bike up to run like it was designed to. All motors wanna breathe and exhale well ;D Like people haha. I would go for it. Its cool that you are all broken in now too which will make it easy to run the engine in all the ranges for testing etc

Billy B.

• Scooter
   Thanks for the info, Just a reaffirmation of what I was thinking. Weird though that the plugs on the Bullet check out okay. My wife has been asking about what i want for an upcoming birthday present. I might have her a list of things to order from nFieldgear.
Appreciate your taking the time.

Bill

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Yes, de restricting will lower temps and increase performance by a bit but nothing dramatic.

Adding a 30mm flat slide makes a nice well rounded mod package and wont break the bank. 

Fuel economy dips only IF you can't resist the urge to use those liberated Hp's at every opportunity.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Flogged my 07 with a goldie  and 30mm flatside this morning..  It was just awesome, if just a bit loud...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Hey Garbone,
I have a 30 mm in a box waiting to be swapped in for the VM. What jets are you running in the flatslide? I assume you've got an aftermarket exhaust on there.

thanks!
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Ehhh,,  I have the stock pilots in there,  have not touched it..  Needle set to the 2nd from top and I think running a 120 jet with a goldie and ace coffee can..   I can check when I get back to the office.. Takes about 10 seconds to pull the jets after you get it down,  I just do not firmly recall at the moment and its been over a year since I set it up.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
I have an Ace can and a megaphone- virtually the same setup. Did you notice a big difference with the 30mm?
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
     Just for the record, guys, the Pulsed Air Valve system (PAV) does not affect running or heat. It is a vacuum operated valve the pulses air into the exhaust stream after the exhaust exits the cylinder. This extra burst of air allows the burn to continue into the exhaust pipe, thus allowing for fewer emissions. It actually allows for richer factory jetting than would otherwise be allowable under EPA rules. With out it the bikes would have to be jetted so lean they would barely run. It is not the culprit people assume it is that adversely affects running.
      This is not to say that one can not improve run-ability. A good pipe and careful tuning/jetting will certainly be beneficial. It is just that the PAV is not in and of itself causing your problem.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
I have an Ace can and a megaphone- virtually the same setup. Did you notice a big difference with the 30mm?

I think the carb is worth the investment.  There is a bit of difference in the feel of the thing when getting on the stick.  I also love the better idling and enricher function.  The carb performance improved from what I would call adequate to good verging on great with the upgrade.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Billy B.

• Scooter
    Not to try and play Devils advocate to your reply. But tha Evhaust pipe does pull a certain amount of heat off of the exhaust portion of the head acting as a heat sink too. Adding the air pulse in the header pipe allows for added combustion of unburned chamber gasses. It also keeps the heat level up on that area of the engine. I have had the tab of the cable tie under the tank melt and literally drip down onto the exhaust rocker box cover. This is not good in my thinking. The system was an afetrthought .
I bought my H-D I mentioned earlier in the early to mid 80's, so my Enfield is going to be a long range relationship. My aim is longevity not so much sportability.
Just trting to pull some combined experiences for consideration.
Thank you for your input though. That is what I am looking for,

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Heres a link to a carb setting / jetting thread.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3955.0.html

PAV's IMHO neither help nor hurt run ability.
 The ones I have seen were all made by Keihin and of very good Japanese quality.
I have seen one that leaked internally allowing a slight lean condition.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Yes, it's worth it.
Do it.

The real bad part of the stock exhaust is the "hot tube" that is down near the back end of the header pipe, which restricts exhaust flow.
Aftermarket pipes delete the PAV and the hot tube, and the bike flows enough better to need a jetting change.
Improve the air filter to a more free-flowing one, and it gets even better.

These free-flow breathing type mods are the best performance mod for the money that you can do.
Just make sure you re-jet the carb correctly richer, or you'll be too lean after doing these mods.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Yes, it's worth it.
Do it.

These free-flow breathing type mods are the best performance mod for the money that you can do.

Most gains for the cost, best bang for the buck, best return on investment, sweet spot of the price point.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
     Just for the record, guys, the Pulsed Air Valve system (PAV) does not affect running or heat. It is a vacuum operated valve the pulses air into the exhaust stream after the exhaust exits the cylinder. This extra burst of air allows the burn to continue into the exhaust pipe, thus allowing for fewer emissions. It actually allows for richer factory jetting than would otherwise be allowable under EPA rules. With out it the bikes would have to be jetted so lean they would barely run. It is not the culprit people assume it is that adversely affects running.
      This is not to say that one can not improve run-ability. A good pipe and careful tuning/jetting will certainly be beneficial. It is just that the PAV is not in and of itself causing your problem.

Vince hits the nail squarely on the head AGAIN! Thanks for that!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

clay

• Scooter
I don't think it will make your bike last any longer. If anything it will shorten its life.But you will find it alot more fun.With a free flowing pipe the sound is so sweet you can't stop from twisting that grip...
2005 military RE
57 Sears Allstate 250
61 Sears Allstate 250
69 Sears Allstate 250
66 Sears Allstate 175
74 honda z50