Author Topic: 9000  (Read 8077 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 11:59:35 pm
I think I have a different definition of what constitutes a problem than most, unless I see a rod sticking out the bottom of the case it's not a problem. Anything less than that is a minor aggravation and usually not worthy of mention. I've owned a LOT of motorcycles, never saw a perfect one. :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:18 am
Yeah, I'm mostly the same.  If it starts and gets me where I'm going without getting notably worse it's just an aggrivation.  But three or more aggrivations at the same time add up to a problem ;)

Scott

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:30 am
Being a relatively new bike owner/rider/maintainer, can you guys give me some idea of what I should be looking for in terms of chain maintenance? Signs that I need adjustment or lubing, and signs that I need a new chain (hopefully a ways off yet).

I got some of that Dupont Multi-Puropose spray to do mine with, probably been too long since the last time it was done was about 800 miles ago at the dealer service (who btw didn't say anything to me, a first time bike owner, about doing any maintenance until coming to him again in a recommended 3000 miles). Do I need to clean the chain thoroughly before lubing?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 12:38:12 am
I lube my chain once a week, or every 300 miles, which ever comes first.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:41:46 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 01:00:03 am
Do I need to clean the chain thoroughly before lubing?

I'm sure we all have different opinions on this but I would give a qualified "yes".

I would not use any solvents to clean it but would suggest wiping it off with a clean (soon to be dirty) rag.
An old toothbrush can also be used to get the loose dirt/rust/etc out of the area between the rollers.

Then apply the lube and wipe off the excess with another clean rag or a paper towel.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 01:03:54 am
I usually try to lube every other time I fill up, which is about 300 miles for me.  Somewhere between 300 and 500 miles is probably a good increment.  For what it's worth, I used Dupont Teflon spray and my chain is done at 6500 miles but many people with many bikes and more miles swear by it.

Check your chain slack often.  I believe the owner's manual has a procedure for this.  I do this the way Pete Snidal recommands it for the older bikes: on the centerstand, wheel off the ground, shock extended, set to 2" of slack.  This seems to set it nicely with enough slack not to bind and not so much it grabs when going from accel to decel or vice-versa.

When new, you'll need a few chain adjustments early on.  Then it should settle in and only need one once in a bit.  If you start needing them more and more frequently start shopping for a chain.

I do a mini-clean on my chain every time I lube it.  Spray with lots of lube, rub down with a rag to get any funk off, spray again lightly and wipe off the back and sides lightly.  If it gets really cruddy you'll need a full clean with degreaser but with a modern o-ring chain and dry lube this is rare.

Inspect your chain when you clean and lube it.  Does it get tighter and looser as the wheel goes around?  Are there frozen links that don't move freely?  More than 2 or 3?  How do the sprockets look?  Are the teeth pointy and/or hooked in one direction?  Can you pull the chain away from the back of the rear sprocket and see daylight between chain and sprocket?  These are all signe that your chain is going south.  And if your sprocket is hooked or obviously worn it's going too.  

There is a spec for max length of so many links in the factory manual but even if that's within spec but you've problems like those above you're on way to a new chain and maybe sprockets.

As things start getting worn they will start to wear more quickly so fix them sooner rather than later.  I'm a fan of replacing the chain and sprockets all at the same time as a set to get max life out of all of them.  My chain is going but my sprockets look pretty good so I'm just replacing the chain this time.  It's for cost reasons and a little experiment.  A brand new DID non-O-ring chain (high quality stuff) only cost me $40.  A new x-ring chain would be about $120 with more for 2 new sprockets.  I'm going to see how long the non-O-ring chain lasts and how much of a pain it is to take care of.  If it last long enough and isn't too annoying to care for I may not bother with O-ring chains any more and save some cash.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 02:12:27 am
A little wear is evident, nothing scary.
Wow...looks pretty good to me. What kind of oil are you using r80rt?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:38 am
"Champion chain lube and multi purpose spray grease'.  It's pretty good stuff.
Iron Butt Association