Author Topic: Chrome C5 images from the web  (Read 15884 times)

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 06:15:10 am
I hope they have a color matched passenger seat and bracket.... Or there will be an uproar!!,,
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 01:03:39 am
Hello Ducati Scotty !
        The picture you sent me of the Le Pera seat is EXACTLY what I have on my G5. With the help of my computer genius friend, he has helped me to finally get some pictures posted. We tried to show you the seat details and some over all shots of the bike. Hope this helps.
                                                   P. Schraub

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 10:08:12 pm
Great pics, just what I wanted.  The shape of the seat looks nicely dished and contoured for good support, exactly what I'm looking for!  I can see what you mean about the rear adapter, sets the springs a little wider and at the right angle so they go straight down.  It also looks like they mounted the front with a standard front hinge piece bolted to the front bracket.  On the stock C5 seat they don't even use the front bracket.  There's this weird contraption of a few pieces that has a rubber mounted hinge which offers some resistance to rotation and actually moves the pivot point to near the middle of the seat, front to back.

Any chance of getting a close up of the front hinge?

I have to say too, overall the bike looks great.  I dig the smaller turn signals you put on.  I've been thinking of doing the same myself.  The ones you have blend in really nicely.  I also like the chrome luggage rack and saddle bag supports.  They nicely camouflage the G5 rear fender support which sometimes looks ungainly when uncovered.  And gotta get me on of those clocks.  I never realized how much I used the clock on my last bike until I got this one.

Scott

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 11:45:13 pm
Hello Scotty,
          I'll try and get some pics of the hinge assembly posted this week. I'm sure it's a universal bracket that is used on most after market solo seats. It bolted right up to the RE bracket on the frame using another adapter bracket at the hinge point This bracket has a vertical bolt through the RE frame bracket and a horizontal bolt through the seat bracket ( at the hinge point ). I hope this makes sense.......that's why I'll get you a picture !! Nice to hear you like the chromed luggage racks. They only came in black so I had to have them chromed. I also installed an Electra front fender, which I also had to have chromed. I felt that the stock front fender was a little to big for my taste and the chrome Electra fender gave a better balance between the chrome plated luggage racks in the rear.
           Yes, I love the clock.....very useful for trip planning, mileage, etc. By the way, I put 100 miles on the Enfield today, and the Le Pera seat is definitely comfortable.....no problems what so ever. Hope this helps.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 12:02:16 am
Yup, that makes sense.  I think it's one of the pieces shown here:
http://www.retrocycle.com/CustomChromeSku/12564/Solo_Seat_Bracket_for_Softail__Models.html

Scott

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 12:20:12 am
Hey Scotty,
        The website you referenced is close on the hinge point bracket, but not what I have. Please wait for the detailed photo I'll get you this week. The brackets do the same thing, but mine is dimensionally different. I'm sure that there are a variety of brackets that will work, I'm just trying to save you the guess work !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 02:25:00 am
Thanks and I'll wait for the pics.  I'll also leave a message at Sun Valley and see what they have to say.

Scott

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 12:41:08 am

Any chance of getting a close up of the front hinge?

Scott
Hello Scotty,
         Yes, here's 3 close up photos. These should answer all your questions, however, I don't know where the hinge bracket came from. That's a question for Guy at Sun valley. Hope this helps.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 12:55:31 am
The rear bracket looks production, not custom.  I suspect it's from La Pera.  The hinge pice bolted to the seat looks like the standard $10 DragSpecialties budget seat hinge.  The small piece bolted to the frame is larger than the stock bit from the hinge, It's usually a smaller tab curved to weld to a top tube.  I've seen some with larger tabs like this but it's on higher end brackets.  Either way, easy enough to find or fab, not too much to it.  It looks like a budet piece of just steel but I coudl be wrong.  The nicer pieces have bronze bushings inside that last longer before they wear and get loose, and the bushings are easier to replace than the steel tube they sit in.

Thanks so much for the pics, it answers all my questions.  Now I need to get some $$$ together and stop making foam dust mess down in the garage,  This is a nicer seat than I can make and it's not very expensive.

Thanks again,

Scott
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:59:27 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 10:48:15 pm
P, I was at the dealer today and a seat was sitting in the showroom.  It's the NfieldGear solo seat, I think the Deluxe Solo seat in tan to be exact.  It looks like the seat itself is the La Pera seat and Enfield just added all the right brackets, springs, and hardware to make it mountable on a variety of their models including the C5 and G5.  You were right, there's a La Pera seat just for Enfields, just not from la Pera directly ;)  The dealer let me borrow it so I'm going to do a test fit on the bike at home tonight if I can.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:17:13 pm by Ducati Scotty »

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 02:31:18 am
Very Cool Scotty !
        I hope you like it as much as I do mine. Let me know !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 06:17:43 pm
:(

I got the front bracket mounted and got the threaded studs balanced on the existing springs.  I really like the firm foam but the shape of the seat isn't right for me.  It's a little too cupped.  It holds me in one position and there's not enough contact to spread the weight.  Even just sitting there for 15 minutes I could tell I had hot spots and it just wasn't working.

The front mounted esily but the rear end would take some fab/modification to get locked down.  None of the included brackets fit and the adapter that angles the spring mounts to be horizontal was too wide for the stock springs.  I'm sure I could reshuffle some pieces and maybe make a small bracket or two.  I'd do it in a heart beat if it was the seat for me.

Big thanks to Justin for letting me take a look at it on the bike.  I guess it's back to sculpting the minicel foam for me.

Scott

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 12:32:07 am
Hello Scotty,
         I'm glad you got to try it out. Very cool of the dealer. I weigh 155 lbs. so the seat works for me perfectly. I guess that's why there are so many seats on the market, because one size does not fit all ! Hopefully, the photos I posted will help others if they are interested. Just tried to help out the best I could.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 01:12:26 am
Yes, the photos were great.  I would also say that the price of $200 on the NFiledGear site is fair.  That cover the $125 seat and is a reasonable conveneince charge for all the bits you'd have to scrounge or fab.

I'm heavier than you at 225 which is part of it but there's also shape of seat and how it matches the rider's bottom and some personal preference too.

Yeah, my dealer likes me and treats me very well :)

Scott