Author Topic: Chrome going brown  (Read 15621 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:25:48 am
i should wash my bikes more and polish them...they look okay and are garaged most of the time...i got to be in the mood for cleaning..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 12:57:31 am
A wash and polish becomes its own incnetive.  I always marvel at how my car seems to completely change color and look so much better when I wash it.  The C5 is looking pretty dull after a winter riding season here in Portland, OR without a wash.

Scott

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:21 am
  Heck my India exhaust is turning black were the chrome burned off.  The rest is a deep copper color.  Looks very period correct..patina man, patina.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Tecomakeith

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 07:06:23 am
I will agree with you about Fosters, heep of  horrible goo in a bottle from The Fosters Group.

Try a Kilkenny or a Beck's that's all I drink now. VB was given me to many headaches but that might have been my other half also ;D

I wouldn't worry too much about the dis-colourization, my C5 has done the same.

im not too worried about the one on the header... but the one on the muffler looks gross hehe...

Btw... Fosters = gross ;) They dont even really sell it here in Australia.

There are plenty of other local beers which are actually drinkable  ;)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 01:55:32 pm
i think the wee bit of discolor gives it character...funny u guys say foster gives u a headache down under...budweiser does the same thing to me...just one and i have to take a asprin a hour later....i like becks (clean beer) and yes the local microbeers have taken off here too and that a good thing...I could see the Indian made exhaust turning a bit darker than the Brit made or affrmarket exhaust systems..But they are half the cost  (usually)..

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 10:51:25 pm
I will agree with you about Fosters, heep of  horrible goo in a bottle from The Fosters Group.

Try a Kilkenny or a Beck's that's all I drink now. VB was given me to many headaches but that might have been my other half also ;D

I wouldn't worry too much about the dis-colourization, my C5 has done the same.

Hey Keith,
are you from Aus?
Im a fan of stuff from coopers and little creatures breweries..... *licks lips*

Thanks for the input guys.. ill see if it polishes off easily, otherwise ill leave it alone.

Tecomakeith

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 01:26:20 am
Down in old Melbourne.

Had a run in Tassie early March on my C5 with 22 other bikes mostly HD's, did about 2000klm's over the week. Great ride, hopefully we will be doing it again next year.

All of us are over 50, old farts ;D

Hey Keith,
are you from Aus?
Im a fan of stuff from coopers and little creatures breweries..... *licks lips*

Thanks for the input guys.. ill see if it polishes off easily, otherwise ill leave it alone.

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 01:48:51 am
that sounds like a blast... i want to do something like that :)

the weather is perfect for that up in qld at the moment ;)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 01:59:35 am
im not too worried about the one on the header... but the one on the muffler looks gross hehe...

It's normal - look at mine.  Makes me want to hurl.  The catalytic converter in the bike (am I the only one who thinks catalytic converter and bike should never be used in the same sentence?) is the cause.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 02:22:29 am
The upswept (no cat-con) did the same thing. The real culprit is an extremely lean mixture. We need that for smog and mileage. For years Harley has run a cover over the mufflers to cover it up. The Enfield headpipe is double walled but not the muffler.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 02:28:43 am
It's normal - look at mine.  Makes me want to hurl.  The catalytic converter in the bike (am I the only one who thinks catalytic converter and bike should never be used in the same sentence?) is the cause.

Did you modify your brake pedal? No rubber and it's up higher than stock.

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 02:31:32 am
oh man... yeh thats exactly like mine, same spot and all.... :(

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 03:19:42 am
Did you modify your brake pedal? No rubber and it's up higher than stock.

Yes - crash modified - I don't recommend it.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 04:26:54 pm
its called government restrictions  :D. U should be use to them by now and probably more to come...Think of it being totally black (I don't mean painted)  and the bike won't start period...Just think of the great gas milegae u can brag about.....u can then put it in the front yard as a ornament and put a basket on the front and let the wife put some pansies in there....well u get the point.....get the thing off and let her breathe It s a very nice machine u have there and she deserves better ::)