Author Topic: What happened to Bat-Pac?  (Read 6395 times)

LJRead

on: February 06, 2008, 05:54:28 pm
I'm wondering if any of you know what happened to the Bat-Pac Company.  They were selling a battery eliminator on Ebay and over the net and now, suddenly, their site is gone from both places.  The reason I was trying to look them up is that mine doesn't seem to work!  Maybe that explains it.

Funny thing was I installed it, then the new (to me) bike started right up.  Then I looked down and realized I hadn't connected on of the Bat Pac leads!  So there must be a condenser in the system installed already.  Then I hooked it up and it doesn't start. 

It may be that the epoxy sealed tube that is the Bat-Pac simply contains a condenser with two leads coming out.  If I can't get it to work I may saw it in half and find out.  I looked in Ebay under "battery eliminator" and there were some condensers with terminals soldered on, charging a good price for a rather common piece of electronics.  Well business is business, I guess.

Larry

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:06:12 pm
I bought one some time ago and it works well, there isn't to much to them I think.  I was planning on buying an extra one to have a spare. 
geichal

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:11:24 pm
I was going through my notes and found some contact info, Derek was who I talked to. derek@bat-pac.com   Phone #: 305-255-3457
Hope that helps!
geichal

LJRead

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:58:41 pm
Thanks geichal,

How did you hook yours up?  I assumed that the two lugs, red and black, went to the positive and negative battery wires, respectively.  Have I got that right?  Mine came without instructions.  If you do make contact with Derek and learn anything, let me know please.

Larry

LJRead

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:23:23 am
Well, I'm afraid I'm having to learn - a lot.  Mine has the CDI ignition, so the Bat-Pac had nothing to do with starting or not.  It should run without any battery, condenser or what have you.  So I can't blame hooking up the Bat-Pac.  The CDI has a coil in the primary case which simply gives off impulses as the engine turns. Actually, I don't think I even needed a Bat-Pac, except that it is supposed to help the lights stay brighter at idle.   Funny how these things go.  I put new automatic transmission fluid in the primary case, then started the bike, no problem.  But the next day, deader than a door nail.   No spark.  I've been messing with the wiring up front, so must have done something.  Good thing I have a little patience.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:33:17 am
Larry - don't know if yours has it, but I spent about an hour cussing, kicking, checking connectors, swapping plugs...

Then noticed the kill switch on the right grip was in the "I don't think so" position...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 03:21:49 am by mbevo1 »
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

geichal

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:13:33 am
I just replaced the battery with the red/back wires~ worked fine.
geichal

LJRead

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 03:18:38 am
Mike, as yet I have the bike running and the kill switch on the right handlebar doesn't kill it, I have to pull the top off the spark plug.  I have it hot wired, as no key, and probably the kill switch is connected to the ignition wires somehow - I'll figure it out.  Snidal's wiring diagrams don't help a lot, and the bikes with CDI aren't even in there.  I pulled the wires from their connectors that I hooked up yesterday and it started right up, so I have to puzzle over that for a while.  It isn't the worst kind of work and I'll get it figured out.  When it wouldn't start, I tried the kill switch both ways, but that could have been because the wires it shorts out were somehow connected together. 

When it starts and idles, it just putts away so slowly - nice isn't that?

As far as Bat-Pac goes, you might try to phone him just to see, because the concept of getting rid of the battery seems a good one.  I'm not sure I even needed it, especially since I don't expect to do much driving at night.  I tried to email Derek before I purchased it and no reply.  Maybe he just couldn't cope with the demand and is reorganizing.  That happens sometimes when a company expands too fast.