Author Topic: Push Start a C5  (Read 3029 times)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 15, 2011, 07:20:39 pm
Is it possible to push start a C5?  I have had lots of bikes in the past some of them were very easy to push start, some not.   I am too lazy to try it myself, hoping someone that has tried it would share their experience.

Thanks
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:08 pm
Tried it and I wasn't a happy bunny in the end but got it fired up though.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:32 pm
Yup.  You still need enough juice in the battery to run the fuel pump up to pressure and as with many bikes, try second gear instead of first.  First is very low and can make for a jolting experience.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:31:21 pm
Put 'er up in fourth or fifth gear, shove fast and flop onto the seat. She'll fire ......  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 05:23:50 pm
Was advised long time ago never to bump start a bike with efi  as it's possible to get a electrical  spike that could wreck the computer which is costley to say the least ,apparentley jump leads aka as on cars is no prob.Any expert opinions on this?. Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:45:24 pm
There are many "never jump start a bike from a car" myths out there.  Most of these are due to bad experiences way back when jumping 6V bikes from 12V cars.  Jumping 12V to 12V is no problem.  The one thing is not to have the car running.  This goes for car to car too.  Apparently modern charging systems can get into some kind of fight and damage one another.  So just hook the dead vehicl up to a non-running car and start it.

As to a push start creating a voltage spike, I've never heard of that.  While I have no evidence it sounds likeBS to me.

Scott

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:10 pm
called my pal who advised me about it yrs ago and he said he blew his Marrelli comp on his Guzzi doing a bump start or at least that's what the tech told him caused it  when he took it   into dealer the guy told him you could get away with it 100 times but the possibility is there  ,makes me wary of bump starting now I would rather use jumper cables never had an issue with that either from car to bike or bike to bike,I.m no expert so more than willing to be advised by more knowledgeable folk.Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 06:26:41 pm
Italian bikes are not renowned for their reliability, especially on the elctronics.  Troll the Ducati forums and see how many people have had their ECU take a dump for no reason and leave them with a $2000 bill to replace the ECU/gauge cluster mated pair because the immobilizer won't let the bike start.  Fortunately, a few intrepid souls have hacked this system and can now defeat the immobilizer.  Good news for owners who get screwed by flakey electronics or bought a junk bike with no original key, bad news for everyone since thieves now have the same unfettered access.  I digress...

I wonder if the tech was making something up to justify the bill or sincerely passing on misinformation he got from someone else.  All a push start does is rotate the engine just like the starter would do.  If I get a Guzzi, Ducati, or Vespa and it needs a push start I'm going to push it.

I wouldn't worry too much on the Enfields, we don't have Italian electronics and I don't think the Indian designers who so relish the reliability reputation of the Bullet would design in such a fragile system.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 06:40:31 pm
Scotty - I found out ALL about that flaky cluster/key bullsh!t on a gently flopped 750M Ducati. It drove me nuts until I talked the good fellows at the Duc Pond in VA .... Electric hockey-diddle ...... that's what THAT stuff is! Hahaha!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 06:50:56 pm
Well it's one thing when you have that go wrong on a $10k Ducati, you can chaulk it up to the "exotic mystique" of the bike.  When Pedro told me they use the same sytem on Vespa's my jaw hit the floor.  Pity the poor soul who buys a totaled Vespa to fix up on the cheap with no original keys....

Anyway, there are several places now that can both disable the immobilizer and remap your EFI for fees far mor reasonable than a new ECU/cluster package.  And they're giving good customer service too from what I hear.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:10 pm
That's GOOD to know if I ever take the Monster plunge again ....... Thanks!!

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 07:19:54 pm
It only cost me $1000 to get the Vespa ie fixed. I'd like to  see you push start one  ;) If they have the imoblizer they are automatics.